[Releasing] Can we do a last minute upgrade of the MinGW toolchain?

Anttila Janne Janne.Anttila at digia.com
Thu Jan 17 14:35:11 CET 2013

Koehne Kai wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Both the CI system and the build machines for 5.0.1 right now use
> MinGW-builds x32-4.7.2-release-posix-sjlj-rev1.7z as toolchain.
> However, since we originally settled for rev1 the toolchain got a
> couple of updates, and now is on -rev8. ChangeLog:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-
> windows/releases/4.7.2/
>
> I'd especially like to see the fixes for the gdb wrapper being
> shipped. There are also other improvements where I cannot really judge
> the criticality, e.g. "Fixed some corner cases for pow(): -x ^ non-
> int" , which I understood break some autotests, and potentially other
> code too.
>
> So I'd like to propose doing an upgrade to latest rev8 of the
> toolchain both in the CI system and the build machines. I compiled all
> of Qt successfully with it locally. I'd then push an update to the
> documentation + update the wiki page.

I wonder if that is good move this close to release? AFAIK: 5.0.1 was
planned to happen during this month. I think the decision has to be made
by release team.

>From CI system point of view it is OK, if you can tell me some binary
under MinGW installation which returns also the revision :)

The problem is that CI machines are controlled by puppet and before
doing (re)installation it does check that if correct version of MinGW
is already installed. At the moment puppet configuration for MinGW is
configured to execute 'gcc.exe --version', which returns:

---
gcc.exe (Built by MinGW-builds project) 4.7.2
---

Now this does not specify revision, so even I change puppet configuration
>From rev1 -> rev8, it won't update it since both still match with 4.7.2 :(

Anyway if release team decides to go with rev8, I will do manual
reinstallation if nothing else works.

Br,
--
Janne Anttila