[Releasing] Starting preparations for Qt 5.1

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 13:36:20 CET 2013

On 18 March 2013 11:24, Ahumada Sergio <Sergio.Ahumada at digia.com> wrote:

> Making of Qt 5.1 minor release will soon start:
>
> - Plan is to move 'dev' into 'stable' branch on March 19th.
>
> - After March 19th any changes that are required to get in for 5.1
>   need to be pushed into 'stable' branch. So if your needed changes don't make it today,
>   please wait after the merge is done and re-target it.

I don't like this very much. We've been running late with the merge,
but giving people a 1 day notice (without prior warnings) seems
unfair. And, I think stable should never get broken w.r.t. forward
binary compatibility, unless at very specific points -- i.e. when we
merge -dev into it. The branch guidelines indeed specify that we
should freeze and stabilize -dev, not -stable, and release 5.1 alpha
out of -dev, not -stable, so that eventual API/ABI fixes to 5.1
material go into -dev. We should merge only when in -beta quality.

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo