[Releasing] [Development] Starting preparations for Qt 5.1

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:36:41 CET 2013

On 18 March 2013 14:22, Ahumada Sergio <Sergio.Ahumada at digia.com> wrote:
> About the tag, one could argue that making the tag (and alpha release) before or after the merge might be the same.

This is not only about making the 5.1.0-alpha1 tag. This is about not
breaking forward binary compatibility in stable unless extraordinary
circumstances. The branch guidelines imply that we should not merge
unless we are (almost) in beta quality, see
http://i.imgur.com/N1jVW.png (from
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines , 2nd picture).

We can declare dev frozen and not accept any new
significant/destabilizing feature, but I disagree on the point that we
should retarget small new features (pending, not yet +2d) to stable,
as well as getting the first round of API feedback (which could mean
API/ABI breaks) in stable. (That of course could still happen after a
beta released from -stable, but it would probably require much
stronger arguments in order to go through.)

Just my 2c,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo