[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt 5.2 release team meeting 11.11.2013

Heikkinen Jani Jani.Heikkinen at digia.com
Mon Nov 11 14:07:32 CET 2013

Meeting minutes from Qt 5.2.0 release team meeting 11.11.2013:

-              Merge from stable to release started

               - stable is closed at the moment

               - Merge will be done immediately when remaining changes under integration are ready (merged or failed)

               - mapaaso will inform community when merge is done

-              There is fix ongoing for one security issue

               - Fix will be in Qt 5.2 RC1

               - for Qt 5.1.1 the fix for this security issue will be released as patch only, applied to Qt 5.1. The patch will be on old/5.1 branch

-              Next meeting Mon 18th Nov 2013 16:00 CET


Irc log below

[14:00:36] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: kkoehne: sahumada: thiago: fkleint: ZapB_: tronical: ramotyka: wolfgang-b: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h:mapaaso: ankokko ping
[14:00:48] <iieklund> jaheikki3: pong
[14:00:48] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[14:00:50] <fkleint> jaheikki3: Pong
[14:00:58] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[14:01:04] <ankokko> jaheikki3: pong
[14:01:07] <mapaaso> jaheikki3: pong
[14:01:10] <ZapB_> jaheikki3: pong
[14:01:21] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: pong
[14:01:30] <ZapB_> apologies for missing the previous meeting. New baby arrived
[14:01:59] <jaheikki3> ZapB_:Congratulations!
[14:02:06] <jaheikki3> Time to start Qt 5.2 release team meeting
[14:02:11] <ZapB_> thank you :)
[14:02:11] <thiago> ZapB_: different release...
[14:02:20] <ZapB_> :D
[14:02:32] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[14:02:54] <jaheikki3> Merge from stable to release
[14:03:17] <jaheikki3> Any additional items to agenda?
[14:03:39] <ZapB_> timescale for RC?
[14:04:08] <jaheikki3> ZapB_: It was agreed on last meeting: plan is to have RC1 19th Nov
[14:04:15] <ZapB_> ok thx
[14:04:30] <jaheikki3> OK, lets start from Merge
[14:04:47] <jaheikki3> Merge was planned to be today.
[14:05:38] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately we get information last Thursday that we need to offer one security fix for 5.1.1
[14:05:42] <vladimirM> Hi, sorry for being late
[14:06:21] <thiago> branching and merging shouldn't be affected by the security release
[14:06:31] <jaheikki3> Discussions was ongoing how to do it and that's why we wasn't able to start merge activities earlier
[14:06:51] <jaheikki3> Now we have a plan how to proceed and stable is closed
[14:07:13] <thiago> stable is closed => we need to do the merge ASAP and reopen
[14:07:36] <jaheikki3> Yes, but we need to wait that all changes are integrated
[14:07:43] <jaheikki3> or failed ;)
[14:07:47] <ZapB_> is there a gerrit change for the merge yet?
[14:07:53] <jaheikki3> stable was closed about hour ago
[14:07:53] <ZapB_> ah
[14:09:33] <jaheikki3> thiago; Because we need to offer that security fix for 5.1.1 (=release branch) we cannot start merge before plan how to proceed
[14:09:46] <thiago> we need to merge
[14:09:51] <jaheikki3> Plan is to have old/5.1.1 branch
[14:09:59] <jaheikki3> Ossi already did it
[14:10:17] <thiago> you've already taken the step that decided to do it by closing stable
[14:10:27] <thiago> so let's go through with it: do the merge and reopen the branches
[14:10:27] <jaheikki3> ANd when we have fixes for security issue in release branch ossi will pick those to that old/5.1.1
[14:10:41] <thiago> the security fix will trigger the release of 5.1.2
[14:10:49] <thiago> that means old/5.1.1 is not correct
[14:11:14] <jaheikki3> thiago: Plan is taht we don't do 5.1.2 release, just offer a patch & that brach
[14:11:25] <thiago> security fix => new release
[14:11:30] <ZapB_> should we not repoen stable then until the security fix is done?
[14:12:07] <thiago> sorry, you guys have made decisions that make no sense
[14:12:18] <thiago> if we are not planning on making a 5.1.2 release, then there was no need for a branch
[14:12:24] <thiago> the branch on the old/5.1 branch is enough
[14:12:26] <jaheikki3> thiago: <richmoore> as long as i have a commit for 5.1 that i can include in the adviory then we'll have followed what we agreed as the security process
[14:12:27] <thiago> old/5.1 already exists
[14:12:52] <thiago> and if anything in the security process affects the 5.2 release, the freeze shouldn't have happened
[14:13:05] <ossi> [12:41:51] <ossi> we don't need that branch. it's just for the users, so we can easily point them to it
[14:13:07] <ossi> [12:43:15] <ossi> i'll also merge old/5.1.1 => old/5.1, so that those who tracked stable before the down-merge (the not done 5.1.2) will also get the fix.
[14:13:07] <thiago> since the freeze *has* happened, it's now implied we will go ahead with the merge
[14:13:25] <jaheikki3> thiago: that's true
[14:13:32] <fkleint> jaheikki3: Note that ossi called in sick
[14:13:38] <thiago> so we will go ahead with the merge
[14:13:43] <thiago> the security fix will land on old/5.1
[14:14:01] <thiago> there will be no old/5.1.1
[14:14:14] <ossi> fkleint: i also announced that i'll still do some work ;)
[14:14:28] <fkleint> ossi: Oh, welcome ;-)
[14:14:37] <jaheikki3> thiago: old5.1 isn't same as 5.1.1
[14:14:46] <thiago> jaheikki3: indeed
[14:14:52] <thiago> but there is no need for an old/5.1.1
[14:14:57] <thiago> the fix can land in old/5.1
[14:15:45] <thiago> what's more, we did agree that any changes to old/* branches require them first landing on the main branch
[14:15:47] <jaheikki3> thiago: In my opinion we need to offer fix for those who are using just 5.1.1
[14:15:56] <thiago> jaheikki3: sure. That's the patch.
[14:16:03] <ossi> thiago: it may make sense for the more conservative ones to have only that change on top of 5.1.1. this is releavant only for those who want to stick with upstream branches for that ... which may be nobody.
[14:16:19] <thiago> ossi: we're releasing a patch. not a branch.
[14:16:28] <thiago> therefore, the patch should land in old/5.1
[14:16:49] <ossi> thiago: it's for convenience
[14:16:54] <thiago> no need
[14:16:57] <thiago> the patch is the release
[14:17:36] <thiago> what we need to discuss is how that patch is going to end up in that branch
[14:17:50] <thiago> on one hand, the procedure requires it going through CI in stable first. On the other, it's a security fix.
[14:18:21] <jaheikki3> thiago; There is already partial fix available in stable
[14:18:37] <thiago> the full fix needs to be there before it can be backported
[14:18:43] <jaheikki3> unfortunately it isn't enough, mitch is working on additional fix
[14:19:16] <jaheikki3> thiago: We agreed Ossi will pick fixed from release branch to that old/5.1.1 when all available
[14:19:45] <jaheikki3> and merge that old/5.1.1 to old/5.1 as well
[14:19:51] <thiago> there was no discussion
[14:20:04] <thiago> post to the ML
[14:20:10] <thiago> I disagree with that conclusion
[14:20:13] <ossi> thiago: you didn't respond since friday. tough luck ;)
[14:20:20] <thiago> I was on a plane
[14:20:26] <ossi> thiago: excuses :P
[14:20:28] <thiago> IRC is not binding
[14:20:30] <thiago> ML is binding
[14:20:37] <thiago> what's the Message-Id of the request?
[14:21:08] <ossi> thiago: F2D121D33ACDD34DB72834D8E8B2378D28F13E at IT-EXMB02-HKI.it.local
[14:21:09] <jaheikki3> thiago: that was discussed with ossi just before this meeting...
[14:21:44] <thiago> then we're still in "discussion time"
[14:21:59] <jaheikki3> thiago: to get plan how to proceed. And that's why we are discussing it here as well....
[14:22:23] <ZapB_> but why freeze stable if plan is still being formulated?
[14:22:24] <ossi> thiago: well, it's a security issue that is now public. i think you understand that we are under a certain pressure to actually proceed ...
[14:22:53] <ossi> thiago: anyway, i have no issue with picking directly to old/5.1
[14:23:09] <jaheikki3> and for me it is ok not to have that old/5.1.1 if it is enough
[14:23:26] <jaheikki3> to have fix in old/5.1
[14:24:11] <thiago> the plan is: the fix is applied to stable/release, then backported to old/5.1
[14:24:14] <thiago> no old/5.1.1 is created
[14:24:20] <thiago> (my plan suggestion)
[14:25:10] <ossi> thiago: ok
[14:25:40] <jaheikki3> thiago: ok for me as well
[14:26:34] <thiago> since the freeze for stable has started, let's finish it
[14:26:45] <thiago> that means the rest of the patch by mitch needs to land in release
[14:26:49] <jaheikki3> So this is agreed now. Is there anything else or just do the merge?
[14:27:02] <jaheikki3> thiago: true
[14:28:19] <jaheikki3> if no, let continue merge work & have next meeting on next Monday 18th nov 16:00 CET?
[14:28:41] <thiago> but will we try to make an RC1 release?
[14:29:11] <jaheikki3> thiago:? Of course. Plan is to have it 19 th No
[14:29:19] <thiago> ok
[14:29:54] <jaheikki3> Hoping we will get all needed issues fixed early enough
[14:30:41] <jaheikki3> OK, it seems there isn't anything else so let's end this meeting and continue work with merge & error corrections!
[14:30:48] <jaheikki3> Thanks and bye
[14:31:00] <ZapB_> jaheikki3: will you send around an email when the merge is done?
[14:31:16] <jaheikki3> ZapB_: mapaaso will do it
[14:31:21] <ZapB_> ok thx
[14:31:35] <fkleint> A merge stable->dev  would also be appreciated, but that is another issue
[14:32:42] <mapaaso> fkleint: ok, lets look that after this merge.
[14:33:01] <fkleint> mapaaso: Thx
Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/attachments/20131111/272d5d3d/attachment.html>

More information about the Releasing mailing list