[Releasing] [Development] FW: Finalizing qt5.2 RC1

Wolfgang Bremer wbremer at blackberry.com
Fri Nov 22 19:41:43 CET 2013

We did the last merge from upstream/release on the 12th November.
Since then the following commits went into QtBase in the release branch
and applied changes to the configure script.

02556c0 clean up mess surrounding PLATFORM_MAC
f0524ce consolidate all license checking in the earliest place possible
a6b9729 don't initialize build dir earlier than necessary
078ad53 print help right after parsing command line
558b0a2 make help independent from options and environment
925899d do CONFIG+=silent after configure tests
862fbd9 move some option validations to more relevant places
d1990a7 don't automatically display help on error
c9692fb remove hacks to support solaris 2.[56] and aix < 5
7faf1a7 initialize WHICH, AWK, PERL and MAKE a bit earlier
08d7bac configure: Document that -sdk only applies to the target mkspec

Honestly, I don't know which commit exactly now causes the configure
call to fail.
All I can say is, that it worked before and IMHO changes to the
configure script in the release branch should never break a previously
working system.

Additionally, I cannot see a bug in our build configuration.
The following options worked without producing an error on the release
branch of the 12th Nov.
         -opensource \
         -confirm-license \
         -qt-sql-sqlite \
         -system-sqlite \
         -system-proxies \
         -qpa qnx\
         -iconv \
         -largefile \
         -shared \
         -release \
         -nomake examples \
         -nomake tests \
         -nomake tools \
         -no-sse \
         -no-sse2 \
         -no-sse3 \
         -no-ssse3 \
         -no-sse4.1 \
         -no-sse4.2 \
         -no-avx \
         -no-cups \
         -no-pch \
         -no-rpath \
         -no-sql-db2 \
         -no-sql-ibase \
         -no-sql-mysql \
         -no-sql-oci \
         -no-sql-odbc \
         -no-sql-psql \
         -no-sql-sqlite2 \
         -no-sql-sqlite_symbian \
         -no-sql-symsql \
         -no-sql-tds \
         -opengl es2 \
         -dont-process \
         -force-debug-info \
         -no-strip \
         -reduce-relocations \
         -openssl-linked

Now, the same call is just failing without producing any error message.
I don't want to blame any one, but this should just not happen on the
release branch.
The requested patch does not fix this "bug", it only helps to find the
issue faster.

Maybe, I am not getting the purpose of the release branch. Please
correct me.

Wolfgang