[Releasing] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-35143 :Scene graph threaded render loop deadlocks on X11

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Thu Nov 28 08:37:52 CET 2013

On Nov 28, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Heikkinen Jani <Jani.Heikkinen at digia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Unfortunately we won't get this fixed early enough so that we would have packages today :( And no-one weren't against releasing RC1 without fixing this so we will release RC1 with current content. That's why there isn't any reason to postpone release to Friday. We will release RC1 today if nothing really serious found during these last hours before actual release

I think releasing packages without even any kind of workaround to the problem (and be it setting the environment variable within qt creator as a workaround), sends a very bad sign.
“RC” is perceived as “we are almost there”, and releasing a package that *completely* fails to run on an *unknown* number of Linux environments, certainly doesn’t make a good impression.
It is not unconditionally working on Ubuntu either btw. Quoting Gunnar from IRC:

<gusletta> it applies to all linux distros, but forcing the render loop to basic does work around the problem
[…]
<gusletta> it requires a few preconditions, and it needs a non-sandybridge non-nouveau driver to trigger it beceause those are already safeguarded for other reasons, but it is fairly easy to get it to lock up
[…]
<gusletta> different window managers will probably affect the severity as well as the root problem is that we're getting bad events from the platform plugin (which in turn originate from the windowing system)

We were advocating to not use sandybridge or nouveau driver in the past btw, since these had heavy problems (which have their own workarounds by now, but not till recently).

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt