[Releasing] [Development] Qt 4.8.6 Release Plans

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 30 16:18:59 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 30 de outubro de 2013 07:29:56, Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The original plan - or at least rough idea - was to do 4.8.6 after 5.2.0
> and have it out in January (by which time it was estimated that we have a
> healthy 200 changes in).
>
> It is possible to do 4.8.6 earlier, of course, but it is prone to affect
> 5.2. And since we are already getting close to December with 5.2 I would
> not very much like to take that risk, unless we really have to. Qt 4.8
> supports a wide variety of platforms and it typically takes a month to
> make sure things work in all of these without regressions - naturally we
> can always be lucky but so far it has always been a month or more.
>
> We should have the applications made with Qt 4.8.5 on Mac OS 10.7 (for
> example) working in 10.9 without serious issues. And we should be able to
> agree together what is a serious enough issue to take the risk with 5.2
> getting delayed due to making of 4.8.6. One option is to make a patch
> available and ask users to build themselves.

I'd like a little more information on that. Even though I have a Mac, I am not
allowed to upgrade it right now (it's a corporate machine and gets upgrades
when Intel IT says it gets upgrades). Even if I could upgrade right now, I'm
not the person to investigate the issues.

So what I'd like to know is how badly broken -- if at all -- Qt 4.8.5 is on
OS X 10.9. Then we can make a call on how urgent the fixes are.