[Releasing] MinGW 4.8.1 upgrade for 5.2 - InterlockedCompareExchange conflict

Alexey Pavlov alexpux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 18:19:19 CEST 2013

2013/9/3 Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating an update of the Mingw-builds version we use in the
> binary packages for 5.2, but have hit some issues ....
>
> It looks like one cannot run the current Qt 5.1.0 , Qt 5.1.1 MinGW that
> was built with mingw-builds 4.8.0 rev2 on top of a newer gcc 4.8.1 runtime.
> The reason is an 'InterlockedCompareExchange at 12' symbol that apparently
> was accidentally part of the toolchain [1], and which at least some ICU /
> Qt libs now require.
>
> Yes. This issue is fixed in mingw-w64 runtime already.

> Recompiling 5.1.0 and 5.1.1 packages with gcc 4.8.1 isn't an option, since
> a stock 5.1.1 already requires patches to work with the latest MiNGW-w64
> headers. But what we can do is shipping a MinGW 4.8.1 package along the
> 4.7.4, 4.8.0 toolchains. The biggest problem (apart from the additional
> download in the online installer) with this is that the package name,
> toolchain name in Creator, file folders etc do contain any patch version
> number so far ... so it would be 'MinGW 4.8.1' along 'MinGW 4.8'  and
> 'MinGW 4.7'.
>
> Thoughts on this? I don't have any killer  bug that would force us to
> upgrade until now ... From looking at http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html I'd
> estimate that a gcc 4.9.0 will be released around March 2014, which might
> be just in time for Qt 5.3 then, so an option is indeed to stay with the
> current mingw-builds 4.8.0 for 5.2.
>
> Maybe we can create new gcc-4.8.0 build with older runtime where issue
with  InterlockedCompareExchange is resolved and where you don't need
patches for stock Qt-5.1.1.
In any case I sometimes rebuild latest released Qt5 with our latest
toolchains. My builds are located here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/Qt-Builds
.

Regards,