[Releasing] Qt 5.3.3? LTS?

Turunen Tuukka tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com
Thu Dec 18 08:03:39 CET 2014

On 18/12/14 08:00, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Thursday 18 December 2014 05:53:33 Heikkinen Jani wrote:
>> What comes to LTS Qt version there has been discussions about it but
>>nothing
>> decided yet. I think it is sure  it won't be Qt 5.3 but will it be 5.4
>>or
>> later (or none), it will be seen...
>
>Since we haven't done it for 5.3, I recommend 5.4 be our first LTS
>release.

It might be that Qt 5.5 is technically better fit to be LTS. This should
be discussed in upcoming release team meetings, as well as with Qt support
team and other stakeholders.

Reasons why Qt 5.5 might be better fit include:
-> As Qt 5.5 is planned for April/May it happens relatively soon after 5.4
-> Focus of Qt 5.5 is quality and stability, amount of new features is
less than in Qt 5.5
-> Possibility to maintain Qt WebKit really long is in practise very small
- development focus has been in Qt WebEngine for a long time already now
-> CI system is not yet equipped with all items needed for maintaining a
set of different configurations, but we should have this in place for 5.5

In principle Qt 5 has already reached a state where it is possible to
provide patch releases to a version longer than the 6 months we have done
so far. Technical support for Qt releases is already available for 2 years
after next minor release.

Yours,

		Tuukka