[Releasing] rethinking the branching scheme

Sergio Ahumada sahumada at blackberry.com
Wed Feb 19 13:23:27 CET 2014

On 19.02.2014 12:47, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>    another lesson from today's experience is that despite fairly heavy
>    restrictions as to who can stage, we *still* got three "rogue" commits
>    in qtbase/stable today from people who happened to have the rights,
>    but were not involved in the release process this time. locking this
>    down even further, tailored to the particular situation each time
>    around, would be hassle (and thus error-prone).

just to be precise .. only *one* change got staged/merged after 'stable'
was blocked, just in case you are still wondering why the second change
got merged even though the person who staged it did *not* have the
rights to do it.

regardless of the topic under discussion .. I think the problem for this
disaster^Wrelease was mostly the lack of communication. I am still
waiting for the email that announces that 'stable' and 'dev' are blocked
and for how long just to give one example.

--
Sergio Ahumada
sahumada at blackberry.com