[Releasing] rethinking the branching scheme

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Wed Feb 19 15:19:08 CET 2014

Hi,

as one of the people involved I agree that the current system is pretty
broken. But I think we need to solve several issues and should attempt to do
it incrementally.

Discussion points:

1. defining which patches are the branching points
2. awareness of branches (is it needed? we hope not, that's why we have dev
and stable branches)
3. reluctance/inability to create patch releases
4. ease of contributing to Qt for casual developers
5. problems when merging branches
6. branch model and CI configuration

While I initially was very much for Ossi's proposal, I'd like to explore a few
points for and against it. Maybe we can end up with something less radical.

Here are my thoughts to the issues listed above:

1. See my sha1 proposal mail.

2. This is a mixed thing. Ideally everyone knows to push to dev/stable.
Pushing to the release branch is the exeption and can in my opinion be much
harder as it should really not happen usually.
If a fix for a release is needed, we can demand that the person pushing the
fix knows more (for example a branch name).

3. My impression is that we don't release enough patch releases. The reason is
probably not simple. I suspect that we make the whole harder by not having
branches, so we don't even see if a release is worthwhile and we don't
encourage patches that would go into 5.1.x since there is basically now way to
contribute them. This is also problematic for security fixes.
On a technical level it's trivial to create a branch from any tag/sha1, but it
seems to be a more social problem to me.
Maybe having dev/stable/5.2/5.3/5.4 branches would make this easier.
Other issues are of course that each release has a big cost in QA and
packaging etc.

4. Pushing to either dev or stable is great. I like that most people don't
have to think about where to push. Since we have time based releases this is
hardly a problem, the patch will be out soon. Demanding from everyone to
follow and pushing to the 5.x.y branch seems to make it much harder for casual
contributions.

5. See Ossi's mail. It didn't work. Merging in branches in two directions with
the amount of changes we have is just not very practical. We work around the
problem with locking branches and doing fast forward merges from dev->stable
for example, but this is a huge issue and would be improved by the branching
system suggested. This is a real problem for the release team and whoever else
gets involved. The good thing is that this is mostly people working at Digia
and does not effect people contributing on their spare time. I could still
imagine spending our (my) time in a more productive way.

6. We support different configs/platforms from release to release. Our current
infrastructure is set up so that we can have individual configs per branch.
Changing how this is done also creates quite some re-organisation of how the
CI is done, I am not sure how much work this would be.

Just some random collection of quick thoughts ;)

Greetings,
Frederik