[Releasing] rethinking the branching scheme

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Thu Feb 20 12:50:55 CET 2014

On Feb 19, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> Em qua 19 fev 2014, às 16:35:05, Ziller Eike escreveu:
>> We have to “remember" that sha. A natural way to do that is to have it as
>> HEAD of a 5.2 branch
>
> We have that. It's the old/5.2 branch.

aha, wasn’t aware of that (also because that doesn’t exist in qt5.git)

Sorry, I think it’s a mess. It’s really hard to find out which branch now actually contains code for which version of Qt.

I don’t see why a “stable” branch makes it easier for anyone than 5.x branches. 5.x with highest x is what we currently call stable branch. Maybe people who ‘casually’ commit/committed to Qt Creator can say if it was hard for them to find out which is the development branch, and which is the branch of the current ‘stable’ Qt Creator release series.

dev is dev, that’s fine.
release is basically release-management-private, fine too, except that I don’t see an advantage of a single release branch for all versions, over release-5.x.y branches (that might even get deleted after the release. we have tags for the final releases).

All in all, to me it seems that the current dev/stable/release setup has multiple disadvantages, and I don’t see advantages of it.