[Releasing] ODP: rethinking the branching scheme

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 25 08:28:50 CET 2014

Em ter 25 fev 2014, às 07:18:57, Rutledge Shawn escreveu:
> I haven't tried it; does it do more than push to gerrit and add reviewers?

This:

> It's more
> work to check out the old predecessor, cherry-pick the new version of the
> existing patch on top of that, and push, just to keep those people happy;

It makes that part easy by doing the cherry-picking for you.

> and it's artificial because it doesn't make sense to develop it or test it
> that way, and it won't end up in the release that way.  (For the reviewers,
> re-reading the latest patch in its entirety and making sure the whole thing
> still makes sense in present-day context wouldn't hurt anyway, if there is
> some confusion and the patch is small enough.  It's only the larger ones
> where you need to compare revisions of one patch.)

That's not how I work. When I'm reviewing something I've previously reviewed,
I'll look up what patchset I last made a comment on and simply check if the
requests I made have been fulfilled.

I don't have time to review every patchset in entirety, every time.

So, whenever someone rebases a patch that I need to review, you can expect
further delays.

> When testing, whether
> my patch or someone else's, I always rebase.  So from my perspective the
> only issue is about the view from gerrit; therefore it would be nice if
> gerrit had a solution for it.  Or does git-gpush take care of that too?

gpush doesn't, since it's a wrapper around push only. Git-gp, however, does:
it allows you to specify the base.