[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 26.05.2014

Heikkinen Jani Jani.Heikkinen at digia.com
Mon May 26 17:13:37 CEST 2014

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 26.05.2014

-        We won't update Qt 5.3.0 packages with fix for QTBUG-39042 now

o   QTBUG-39042 will be fixed in Qt5.3.1

-        Plan for Qt 5.3.1:

o   Branch 10th June

o   Release 17th June

-        As agreed earlier Qt 4.8.6 will be updated due to https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38706

o   Also packaging problem https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38636 will be fixed

o   Target is to put updated packages (4.8.6-1) available as soon as possible (packages ready)

-        Plan is to start creating Qt 4.8.7 snapshots during August & release Qt4.8.7 when content is ready

-        Next meeting Tue 10th June 2014 16:00 CET


Irc log below:
[17:00:50] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: kkoehne: sahumada: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: wolfgang-b: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ping
[17:00:56] <sahumada> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:57] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:57] <ankokko> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:00] <wolfgang-b> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:31] <vladimirM> jaheikki3: I've got another meeting in the last minute...
[17:01:39] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:19] <jaheikki3> Time to start Qt release team meeting
[17:02:31] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:51] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.3.0-1?
[17:03:00] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.3.1 schedule
[17:03:08] <jaheikki3> Qt 4.8.6 package update
[17:03:18] <jaheikki3> Qt 4.8.7 schedule
[17:03:25] <jaheikki3> Any additional items?
[17:04:45] <jaheikki3> Let's start from Qt 5.3.0-1
[17:05:22] <jaheikki3> Tuukka started the discussion if we should update Qt 5.3.0 with fix for https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-39042: Mem corruption will soon cause all android apps to die immediately.
[17:06:00] <wolfgang-b> what does "soon" mean?
[17:06:19] <kkoehne> wolfgang-b: Depends on Google, I guess :)
[17:06:29] <wolfgang-b> Next android release?
[17:06:45] <jaheikki3> wolfgang-b: in the report: Future releases of the android OS will have an upgraded, more standard version of libc. This bug addresses a particular call to putenv() in androidjnimain.cpp that, if it not fixed, will cause ALL Qt programs to die on startup without even a trace.
[17:08:07] <wolfgang-b> My point is whether this can wait for 5.3.1 or not. Next Google IO is end of June
[17:08:23] <jaheikki3> According to discussion in the ML it seems we can live with that bug in 5.3.0 & deliver fix for it in 5.3.1 (which is coming pretty soon)
[17:08:48] <jaheikki3> Does someone disagree?
[17:10:47] <jaheikki3> I propose we won't update 5.3.0 packages now & fix this one in 5.3.1
[17:10:57] <wolfgang-b> +1
[17:11:25] <ankokko> +1
[17:11:52] <akseli> +1
[17:12:10] <jaheikki3> OK, no 5.3.0-1 now.
[17:12:19] <jaheikki3> Then 5.3.1 schedule
[17:12:22] <carewolf> pong
[17:13:13] <jaheikki3> We agreed earlier that 5.3.1 will be released before holiday season. That's why I propose that we target to release 5.3.1 17th June
[17:14:46] <fregl> do we do beta and rc for the patch releases?
[17:14:59] <sahumada> fregl: nop
[17:15:04] <jaheikki3> fregl: No
[17:15:10] <fregl> ah, so only RC?
[17:15:24] <carewolf> do we need a tracker bug for must fix before 5.3.1?
[17:15:34] <jaheikki3> fregl: Not even  official RC, just final candidate packages for testing
[17:16:09] <jaheikki3> carewolf: issues to be fixed before 5.3.1: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-39093
[17:16:10] <fregl> jaheikki3: which is the same I thought? RC, if no major issues found RC becomes final
[17:16:22] <carewolf> ah right
[17:16:53] <sahumada> fregl: yes, but the offline installer doesnt get -rc in its name
[17:17:00] <jaheikki3> fregl: actually pretty much. But we don't even label it as 'RC'
[17:17:07] <jaheikki3> ;)
[17:17:14] <fregl> good (sorry for the noob questions)
[17:17:32] <carewolf> will it be tagged from release branch, or will we be using the git structure ?
[17:17:38] <carewolf> new
[17:17:56] <jaheikki3> carewolf: I sent mail related to that earlier today
[17:18:02] <fregl> so that means we just need to set a date for this "RC" that is not an "RC". How long do we give testing?
[17:18:10] <sahumada> new I guess .. jaheikki3 sent an email saying that 'release' will be closed now forever(?)
[17:18:34] <fregl> I'm mostly curious about the cut-off date - when do we branch?
[17:18:57] <jaheikki3> We discussed with Lars & agreed to branch 5.3.1 from stable (or 5.3 if one exist at that time)
[17:19:16] <fregl> otherwise I think this is super good progress - doing the patch release so quick after 5.3.0 is absolutely the right thing imho and I hope we can do that again for 5.3.2
[17:20:15] <jaheikki3> I think we should branch 5.3.1 quite late, I propose 10th June
[17:20:54] <jaheikki3> then just a packages from 5.3.1 branch, testing & release?
[17:21:01] <fregl> and start packaging the same day pretty much?
[17:21:10] <jaheikki3> fregl: yes
[17:21:43] <jaheikki3> I think that was agreed in new branching model as well: Branch ~ RC
[17:22:14] <sahumada> jaheikki3: it would be nice to get the new branching model documented as soon as possible
[17:22:39] <jaheikki3> sahumada: Lars promised to do it during coming week or two
[17:22:42] <fregl> I guess nobody had the sources to the images on the website - maybe we should just create new ones :(
[17:23:04] <sahumada> but at least some text with asciiart
[17:24:25] <jaheikki3> It seems that we agree to branch 5.3.1 10th June & target to release 17th June
[17:25:33] <jaheikki3> sahumada: About that release branch: Could you close it & rename to 5.3.0? I am not sure how to do it...
[17:26:08] <sahumada> jaheikki3: I can .. but I guess ossi|tt wanted to do it .. otherwise I'll do it tomorrow
[17:26:25] <jaheikki3> sahumada: Ok, thanks!
[17:26:47] <jaheikki3> then Qt 4.8.6 package update
[17:26:53] <jaheikki3> Akseli^
[17:27:30] <akseli> Qt 4.8.6 repackaging decided already earlier due to https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38706 Missing windows styles in mingw482-4.8.6 package
[17:27:40] <ossi|tt> well, if the branch is pronounced dead now, i can run the right command ...
[17:28:06] <akseli> additionally will fix packaging problem https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38636 "Qt 4.8.6 can't deploy on OSX while Qt 4.8.5 can"
[17:28:35] <akseli> Qt 4.8.6-1 packages are ready and intention would be publish those during tomorrow
[17:29:55] <akseli> no other changes in package update this time
[17:30:50] <akseli> but thats about it
[17:31:15] <jaheikki3> OK, let's put those out as soon as possible, hoping already tomorrow
[17:31:31] <jaheikki3> Then 4.8.7 schedule
[17:31:40] <jaheikki3> akseli^
[17:32:03] <akseli> Plan is to start creating Qt 4.8.7 snapshots during August
[17:32:56] <akseli> and continue then with normal 4.8 release process. Depending a bit how many contributions there are available on August
[17:33:06] <akseli> the actual release date is a bit open issue
[17:34:03] <jaheikki3> Any question related to 4.8.7?
[17:34:13] <akseli> no plans to change \ add new target configurations e.g. vs2012 prebuild binaries
[17:37:48] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think that was all from 4.8.7
[17:37:57] <jaheikki3> Anything else than next meeting?
[17:38:04] <ossi|tt> sahumada: jaheikki3: we have 5.3.0 branches everywhere now. release are history.
[17:39:13] <sahumada> ossi|tt: shouldn't qtbase be one commit behind ?
[17:39:32] <jaheikki3> ossi|tt: Thanks!
[17:40:16] <ossi|tt> sahumada: good point. i haven't read the conclusion from the list yet (if there was any ...)
[17:40:28] <sahumada> ossi|tt: <jaheikki3> OK, no 5.3.0-1 now.
[17:41:45] <jaheikki3> OK, seems that no additional items.
[17:42:12] <jaheikki3> I propose to skip next monday & have next meeting Mon 9th June at that same time
[17:42:39] <jaheikki3> just before targetted 5.3.1 branch
[17:43:14] <wolfgang-b> Mon 9th June is public holiday in Germany, some of us might be out of office
[17:44:24] <jaheikki3> wolfgang-b: OK, good point. Should be then have a meeting Tue 10th June?
[17:45:18] <sahumada> +1
[17:45:19] <wolfgang-b> Qt Contributors Summit 2014? Anyway, we can try
[17:45:50] <jaheikki3> let's try & keep meeting short ;)
[17:46:03] <wolfgang-b> good ;)
[17:46:42] <jaheikki3> That's all at this time. Thanks for everyone & bye!
[17:47:21] <ankokko> bye
[17:47:47] <wolfgang-b> bye

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/attachments/20140526/f508d888/attachment.html>

More information about the Releasing mailing list