[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 26.05.2014

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 27 10:06:19 CEST 2014

Em ter 27 maio 2014, às 07:52:43, Knoll Lars escreveu:
> >Installer Framework doesn't handle letters, so 4.8.6b is out.

Fix it. :-)

Appending the letter "b" is our precedent here. That's what we used for Qt
3.3.8b and all the Nokia re-releases of the Qt 4.x series.

What's more, the Qt Project recommends that specific vendor patches be done by
appending an identifier, like "4.8.6foobar1". This is not the case, since the
release is done by the Qt Project, but the installer framework should handle
this.

More importantly: are you telling me that the installer framework cannot
handle "5.3.0beta1"?

> >Usually, the dash numbers are for packagers, not for upstream versions,
> >I guess that's what Thiago doesn't like about 4.8.6-1 (and I agree). For
> >example the Qt 4 in my Linux distribution is at 4.8.6-5 - now naming a
> >release 4.8.6-1 is confusing and makes life harder for packagers. (Yes,
> >not that important for Windows, but differing between Windows and Linux
> >versions also confuses.)
> >Why not just do a 4.8.6.1?
>

> Well, if the sources are identical to 4.8.6, 4.8.6-1 seems to make some
> sense, as we’re doing the same thing as packagers (repackage an existing
> release). Linux distributions can ignore this release anyway, as they
> build Qt on their own.

That's not what I understood from reading the description of bug
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38706. That was fixed by a
source code change in https://codereview.qt-project.org/84567 /
8304869598812ec5204f4f2a103c73dd97640e25.

However, after rereading the bug report, it looks like there's an additional
workaround that doesn't require a source code change, only a rebuild of the
same sources for Mac and Windows, but not any of the others. That being the
case, this is a correct use of the revision/build number, so I withdraw my
rejection.

The announcement needs to make it clear that this is just a rebuild and that's
why no new source packages or Linux builds are being offered.