[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 26.05.2014

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Tue May 27 10:34:21 CEST 2014

Not sure it's really worth it, since it's pretty much an 'internal' number ... I think we just settled in the QtVersion discussion that ordering version numbers with characters in it are tricky to get "right" in general.

> Appending the letter "b" is our precedent here. That's what we used for Qt
> 3.3.8b and all the Nokia re-releases of the Qt 4.x series.
>
> What's more, the Qt Project recommends that specific vendor patches be
> done by appending an identifier, like "4.8.6foobar1". This is not the case,
> since the release is done by the Qt Project, but the installer framework
> should handle this.
>
> More importantly: are you telling me that the installer framework cannot
> handle "5.3.0beta1"?

It can't handle it as part of the "Version" field, which is used to check e.g. for updates:

"Version: Version number of the component in the following format: [0-9]+((.|-)[0-9]+)* such as 1-1; 1.2-2; 3.4.7."

https://qt-project.org/doc/qtinstallerframework-1.5/ifw-component-description.html

What you can of course do is setting the "Display Name" to whatever you like ... The "Version" field is only shown to the user when fetching the update (in addition to the Display Name, of course). We can arguably even hide it there, only showing the Release Date instead ...

Regards

Kai