[Releasing] Using LGPLv3 for the pre-built binaries of Qt 5.4

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 1 16:59:23 CEST 2014

On Wednesday 01 October 2014 13:55:19 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Qt 5.4 contains new items available under LGPLv3 only, I believe it is
> best to provide also the pre-build binaries under LGPLv3 only. Using just
> LGPLv3 in the binary installers allows us to take all the new items into
> the release binaries, reduces complexity and risk of misunderstanding.

Hi Tuukka, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

Isn't the licence choice shown in the installer? List both licences and let
the user know that some components are licensed under both, some only under
LGPLv3.

Making everything LGPLv3 is a no-go. If we can't solve that, I recommend
disabling the LGPLv3 code in the mixed-licence modules and providing a
separate set of binaries to be installed in the online installer that is
LGPLv3.