[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 9.6.2015

Heikkinen Jani jani.heikkinen at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jun 9 16:52:59 CEST 2015

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 9th June 2015

Qt 5.5.0 status:
- RC target Tue 16.6.2015
   * All must have items needs to be in this Thu to have enough time for packaging etc
   * agreed that missing change files or header diff fixes aren't preventing the RC (nothing earth-shattering in the header diffs)

Qt 4.8.7:
- Qt 4.8.7 vs2013 installer will be released as 4.8.7-1 (with description \ note about change on downloads.qt.io) and leave other Qt 4.8.7 packages as is
- We close 4.8 branch for further commits after https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/113977/ is in (enabler for vs2013 installer)
   * We would open 4.8 branch for security patches if needed and apply only security patches on top of 4.8.7

Next meeting Tue 16.6.2015 16:00 CET

Best regards,
Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager | The Qt Company

Irc log below:
[17:01:28] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: kkoehne: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ablasche_ ping
[17:01:35] <ankokko___> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:21] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:36] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:03:10] <jaheikki3> Time to start Qt release team meeting
[17:03:16] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:03:23] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.5.0 status
[17:03:37] <fkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:03:40] <jaheikki3> Qt 4.8.7 "status"
[17:03:53] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:22] <carewolf> pong
[17:05:49] <thiago> can't think of anything
[17:06:26] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's start from Qt 5.5.0 status
[17:07:07] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately it seems we cannot release RC as planned this Thu :(
[17:07:24] <jaheikki3> Too many new issues found from header diffs
[17:08:01] <jaheikki3> I have created error reports about issues discussed in ML & linked those in blocker metabug, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44654
[17:09:07] <thiago> I'd say we can release the RC and fix those for the final
[17:09:10] <jaheikki3> Also quite many change files are still missing :( See
[17:09:52] <jaheikki3> https://wiki.qt.io/Change-files-in-Qt-5.5.0#Qt_5.5.0_Change_files
[17:09:53] <thiago> changelog files are easy to add
[17:10:08] <thiago> but probably not edited in time. Something we can do for the final.
[17:10:14] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: Is it clear for every module that someone right now looks into the ChangeLog files?
[17:10:40] <jaheikki3> thiago: Yes, I agree missing change files aren't blocking the RC even it would be nice to have those in 
[17:11:19] <jaheikki3> but I am not that sure with those header diffs...
[17:11:32] <jaheikki3> or fixes for findings
[17:11:57] <thiago> it means that final wouldn't be binary compatible with rc1
[17:12:01] <thiago> I don't see that as a problem
[17:12:32] <jaheikki3> kkoehne: I have sent info for each responsible person but not get answer from everyone.
[17:12:51] <thiago> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/status:open+branch:5.5.0,n,z
[17:13:33] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: If someone is not answering then we need someone else to do it ... I mean, writing ChangeLog's is no fun, and ideally the maintainer would do it, but if not someone from the release team should be able to do it, too.
[17:15:18] <jaheikki3> kkoehne: well, true. And I am not so worried about change files but those header diff related issues
[17:16:16] <jaheikki3> Do you others agree with thiago that let's put rc out & fix those missing header diff issues for final?
[17:16:30] <thiago> I'll try to do qtbase's changelog today
[17:16:42] <thiago> I have a very long meeting :-)
[17:16:53] <fkleint> but header diffs should be fixed for RC IMO...
[17:16:56] <jaheikki3> thiago: thanks, I think it is most important one
[17:18:00] <kkoehne> jaheikki3, fkleint: Well, I personally agree with Thiago. We always take on smaller changes between RC and final anyway.
[17:18:22] <fkleint> hm
[17:19:15] <thiago> there are important things, but nothing earth-shattering in the header diffs
[17:19:24] <thiago> and I think releasing to get feedback is more important
[17:20:25] <jaheikki3> yeah, that is true...
[17:22:20] <jaheikki3> So let's not wait those header diff fixes & change files for RC but for final, ok for everyone (I think we should avoid that in the future but let's now do some compromises to be able to release 5.5.0 before summer holidays)
[17:22:37] <thiago> anyone disagrees?
[17:22:42] <thiago> fkleint does
[17:23:00] <fkleint> Ok, convinced 
[17:23:02] <fkleint> ;-) 
[17:23:38] <ankokko___> +1 (agreeing)
[17:24:38] <thiago> if we get the 5.5.0 changes in qtbase that are currently scheduled plus the changes file, we should be good
[17:24:48] <thiago> so please take a look at https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/status:open+branch:5.5.0 if you can review
[17:28:11] <jaheikki3> thiago: So you mean we need to wait https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/status:open+branch:5.5.0 for RC or?
[17:28:49] <thiago> I mean we should get as much as possible
[17:28:51] <thiago> but not block on it
[17:29:30] <jaheikki3> thiago: Ok
[17:31:23] <jaheikki3> Because we don't have RC packages in place yet releasing it This thu is impossible. Lets put RC out next tue instead, OK? That way we have couple of days to get missing stuff in
[17:32:40] <thiago> ok
[17:32:42] <thiago> makes sense
[17:33:00] <thiago> we should still get the changes we need by Thursday
[17:33:13] <thiago> that way, if the packaging team needs time to make packages work, they'll have it
[17:33:25] <jaheikki3> thiago: True
[17:34:16] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think that is enough about 5.5.0 at the moment
[17:34:31] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 4.8.7, akseli:
[17:34:43] <akseli> Qt 4.8.7 vs2013 convenience installer should be finalized when 
[17:34:48] <akseli> https://codereview.qt-project.org/113977 "fix manifest embedding for VS 2012, VS 2013 and VS 2015" is integrated and installers rebuilt against that commit
[17:35:07] <akseli> i think it is safe to release vs2013 installer as 4.8.7-1 (with description \ note about change on downloads.qt.io) and leave other Qt 4.8.7 packages as is
[17:35:46] <akseli> Qt 4.8.7 is planned to be the last patch release of the Qt 4 series although
[17:35:53] <akseli> we may create security release if severe enough security vulnerabilities are found 
[17:36:00] <akseli> to ease process and time & effort required for possible security release i would propose that we close 4.8 branch for further commits
[17:36:09] <akseli> initial plan is that we would open 4.8 branch for security patches if needed and apply only security patches on top of 4.8.7
[17:36:14] <akseli> comments, questions, approvals?
[17:36:36] <jaheikki3> +1
[17:36:43] <fkleint> +1
[17:37:17] <ankokko___> +1
[17:38:10] <thiago> +1
[17:38:43] <akseli> thank you, thats all from me then
[17:39:43] <jaheikki3> Ok, then next meeting. I think we should have next one next Tue at thos same time to agree to final schedule fo QT 5.5.0, OK?
[17:40:13] <jaheikki3> Hoping RC is out then
[17:40:30] <akseli> +1
[17:40:49] <fkleint> thinks the release cake is hard-earned
[17:41:21] <jaheikki3> ;)
[17:42:35] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's end this meeting now & have new one next Tue at this same time. Thanks and bye!
[17:42:43] <fkleint> bye
[17:42:43] <ankokko___> bye
[17:42:46] <kkoehne> bye\
[17:42:50] <akseli> bye
[17:42:59] <thiago> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list