[Releasing] Qt 5.7 schedule

Turunen Tuukka tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com
Thu Jun 25 13:17:39 CEST 2015

Hi,

While we are finalizing Qt 5.5 release, working towards features of Qt 5.6 and discussing about dropping non-C++11 compilers with Qt 5.7, I would like to add one item: Qt 5.7 schedule. We have desire to get into the April & October cycle and while it was not possible with Qt 5.5 and 5.6, maybe we can make it with 5.7.

To reach this, we should have Qt 5.7 feature freeze in the very beginning of January 2016. We have discussed a bit internally and this is not seen as a big problem. The non-C++11 compilers can be dropped from dev on 10th of August when Qt 5.6 is branched, so it should be possible to develop Qt 5.6 and 5.7 parallel. Of course the amount of new features in Qt 5.7 will be less, but the other option (skipping H1/16 release) is not considered to be good either.

Please discuss this in the release team meetings after summer and we can then agree together what is the schedule we are aiming to.

Yours,

Tuukka