[Releasing] Deprecation - we are doing that wrong

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Thu Feb 4 12:23:42 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 11:09:52AM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:
> We know that these modules are still in use in some places, and that
> Linux distributions and some of our customers would appreciate some
> tar ball that compiles and works against 5.6, so that they can update
> their stack. To accommodate for this, we can spend a bit of time to
> get the 5.6 branch of these modules passing in CI. That can be done
> completely independent of our packaging and release process, and
> doesn’t have to happen at the same time. Once we have a version that
> passes CI, we take the source tar ball created by CI, put that onto
> our ftp server under 5.6/unsupported/qtquick1.tgz (or similar).

that makes no sense. building and maintaining this parallel
not-quite-release infrastructure would be more effort than keeping it
building and dragging it along the normal releases. that's how we
arrived at the previous conclusion to "soften" the removal.

i don't think we should spend effort on keeping the autotests passing.
we can include them in the state builds, so willing parts of the
community can monitor it, but that's a far as i would go beyond keeping
it building.