[Releasing] Deprecation - we are doing that wrong

Jędrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at theqtcompany.com
Fri Feb 5 08:56:47 CET 2016

On Thursday 04 of February 2016 15:17:03 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2016 11:43:12 PST Robin Burchell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well written mail :)
>
> Hello all
>
> Agreed, thanks for bringing this up.
>
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 09:15 AM, Jędrzej Nowacki wrote:
> > >  From time to time we are deprecating/removing a module. Great it is
> > >  normal
> > >
> > > that certain technologies fade out. We announce that the module is
> > > deprecated and removed, then people start complaining, it is also
> > > normal.
> > > Nobody want to upgrade software because it is costly. Then we get scared
> > > and we say, "ah don't worry it is deprecated, but we will keep it
> > > working
> > > for a while and we will still ship packages with it...". That in my
> > > opinion is not normal.
> >
> > Agreed. If a spade is a spade, call it a spade. If nobody is working on
> > it, and nobody will be working on it for valid reasons (whether
> > technical like QtQuick1, or business in the case of QtWebkit where AIUI
> > there simply aren't enough resources to dedicate the required effort to
> > it), then it's deprecated, whether or not that's a popular announcement
> > to make.
>
> I'd like to make a distinction here between deprecated and removed. We have
> five states, which I described more in detail in some blog back in 2011 or
> 2012, which you can find for more info:
> 	1. Active
> 	2. Maintained
> 	3. Done
> 	4. Deprecated
> 	5. Removed
>
> Deprecated means "don't write new code using this, begin porting away from
> it as it will be removed in the future", whereas "removed" means "breaks
> unless you port away". Now, we can have variances of deprecated, which I
> will not go into.
>
> Specifically for modules, we promised this:
> 	qtwebkit		Deprecated
> 	qtscript		Deprecated
> 	qtquick1	Removed
>
> We also tried to say that Deprecated modules would work with new releases,
> but we clearly failed to do that because of our extensive use of private
> APIs across modules, in which I include our entire buildsystem starting at
> load(qt_build_config).
>
> > >  I see a few options:
> > > A. we ask someone to maintain a deprecated / removed module, but then I
> > > guess it would be better to change the status to Done.
> >
> > I don't think this is in practice an option, because in reality this is
> > little more than life support. It basically means "we'll keep the lights
> > on and fix compilation/test failures but nothing else" which in turn
> > leads to the reputation hit that I already mentioned.
>
> Agreed, this is not feasible. Whether we would call this "Done" or whether
> it's a sublevel like "Deprecated with Support", is a discussion for another
> day.

> [...]

Yes, I realized after sending, that mixing in one email deprecated and
removed, is not a good idea... Anyway it seems that we agreed on this support
level from the CI point of view:

        1. Active -> Built encouraged, testing encouraged
        2. Maintained -> built and tested
        3. Done -> built and tested
        4. Deprecated -> built
        5. Removed -> built