[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 12.01.2016

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jan 14 18:57:09 CET 2016

On Thursday 14 January 2016 09:50:51 Knoll Lars wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> Can you explain in more detail what’s blocking 5.7 on QNX? As far as I
> understand, it’s mainly that std::atomic is not properly implemented in
> their libstdc++, right?

Right. QNX folks gave us a patch, but it hasn't been applied to the toolchain
in the CI yet.

> Do we have any other options apart from patching the QNX SDK, as I don’t
> believe that to be a very good option?

Not easily. I'd have to hunt down the uses of QAtomicPointer that fail to
compile and replace with QAtomicInteger<quintptr>, then do manual conversions.
I know only of one in qlogging.cpp, the one that first causes a compilation
error. There may be more, we just don't know.

I'd rather apply the fix instead.

Note that they're also working on an updated version of their SDK, which
should happen soon but not in time for our branching. So this problem will go
away in time and users won't have to patch for long, if at all (the updated
SDK could happen before the 5.7 final).

[The same thing happened back in Qt 4 days for QAtomicPointer<const Type>,
which caused compilation errors in many platforms. Instead of working around
in the QtDBus code that used that construct, I insisted on having the atomic
code (all ours, in src/corelib/arch) be fixed]