[Releasing] [Development] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Jun 22 07:03:28 CEST 2016

Hi!

Actually https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-53761 is a blocker. Priority isn't correct at the moment but in reality the bug is preventing any bigger and a bit complex applications working correctly. Unfortunately bug isn't describing that well enough :(

That's why we need to update the packages just with that one fix. And that's why it isn't new 5.6.2 release (in my opinion), it is just 5.6.1 + hotfix. There was already request 'because you are doing new release please include this fixes' etc :) and that is unfortunately impossible now, just before summer holidays, sorry.

And what comes to tag: we have used '-1' tag earlier (in enterprise repositories) and we didn't see any reason to change that 'hotfix' tagging scheme. It was discussed in irc as well but at least for me no-one really says why '-1' pattern is wrong. There was just opinions for and against and because we have used '-1' tag earlier it was selected this time as well. Another reason was the package naming: We have some tools which cannot handle 5.6.1.1 but can handle 5.6.1-1 in package names and it is better to use same format in the tag what is used in package names.

But if there is really some reason why v5.6.1-1 don't work and v.5.6.1.1 would work then it is really ok for me to change the tag. But let's don't change that just because of opinions...

br,

Jani