[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 22.08.2017

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Wed Aug 23 09:11:26 CEST 2017


Regarding the changelogs for 5.6.3, I have a suggestion:

    (1) The changes for 5.6.3 target the 5.9 branch in Gerrit.

    (2) Upon approval, Ossi could perhaps force-push them into the 5.9 branch of the module.

    (3) Right afterwards cherry-pick them to 5.6 and also force push them there.

I see no value in running changes to dist/changelog-XXX through the CI.


From: Releasing <releasing-bounces+simon.hausmann=qt.io at qt-project.org> on behalf of Jani Heikkinen <jani.heikkinen at qt.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:48:12 AM
To: releasing at qt-project.org
Subject: [Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 22.08.2017

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 22nd August 2017

Qt 5.10 status:
- qt5.git integration in 'dev' still failing -> branching from 'dev' to '5.10' not started yet
- Target to start soft branching immediately after qt5.git integration succeed & finalize branching ~a week

Qt 5.6.3 status:
- First binary snapshot under testing. Seems to be pretty good shape...
- Agreed provisioning changes not in yet -> we cannot start branching from '5.6' to '5.6.3' yet
- What about change logs for Qt 5.6.3: We are in cherry pick mode in '5.6' so should we do change logs in '5.9' instead & cherrypick those then in '5.6.3'? Or directly in '5.6.3'? To be agreed in different mail thread

Qt 5.9.2 status:
- gt5.git integration finally succeed
- content already exported & finalizing packaging configurations ongoing
- target is to get first snapshot for testing during this week

Next meeting Tue 29.8.2017 16:00 CET


irc log below:
[17:00:26] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical:vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl:ablasche:ping
[17:01:37] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:25] <jaheikki3> Let's browse through the release statuses ( 5.10, 5.6.3 & 5.9.2) even there isn't that much changes since last meeting
[17:02:32] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agfenda?
[17:03:24] <akseli> jaheikki3: late pong
[17:03:40] <jaheikki3> Lets start from 5.10 status:
[17:04:04] <jaheikki3> We are still trying to get qt5.git integration succeed in 'dev'
[17:04:18] <jaheikki3> And that's why branching is still not started
[17:04:37] <jaheikki3> New try is ongoing, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/201350/
[17:04:37] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki3: [qt/qt5/dev] Update submodules on 'dev' in qt5 from Qt Submodule Update Bot - https://codereview.qt-project.org/201350 (INTEGRATING)
[17:05:08] <jaheikki3> Hoping it finally succeed & we can start soft branching
[17:06:05] <jaheikki3> And and as usual branching will be finalized ~ a week after starting soft branching
[17:06:30] <jaheikki3> So it is still slightly possible to get alpha out at the end of this month (as planned)
[17:06:49] <jaheikki3> But let's see that after we really can start the branching
[17:06:59] <jaheikki3> Any comments or questions?
[17:07:22] <akseli> sounds good to me
[17:08:45] <jaheikki3> then Qt 5.6.3 status:
[17:09:01] <jaheikki3> First binary snapshot under testing
[17:09:53] <jaheikki3> Some findings already reported but content seems to be pretty good shape still
[17:10:32] <jaheikki3> Those provisioning related changes aren't in yet so we cannot start branching yet
[17:11:17] <jaheikki3> But on the other hand I am thinking if we need to branch 5.6.3 from 5.6 at all: there isn't that much changes coming in anymore
[17:11:26] <jaheikki3> Any thoughts?
[17:12:52] <frkleint> jaheikki3: is copyright year really a blocker for 5.6.3?
[17:13:09] <akseli> lets not change process between patch releases but continue as earlier and create 5.6.3 branch
[17:13:24] <jaheikki3> frkleint: no, I don't think so
[17:13:42] <frkleint> jaheikki3: Same here, should it be changed in a LTS..
[17:13:51] <frkleint> is it worth the hassle...
[17:14:12] <jaheikki3> akseli: That's ok for me, it isn't that big task to be done
[17:14:50] <frkleint> Do we need changelogs for 5.6.3... ;-) ?
[17:15:04] <frkleint> given  that  not much changed..
[17:15:49] <jaheikki3> frkleint: well, I think we need. There is more than 1000 changes since 5.6.2
[17:15:56] <frkleint> uah
[17:17:01] <frkleint> Should they be added to 5.9 and then cherry-picked over as well...
[17:17:27] <frkleint> well probably not.
[17:18:28] <jaheikki3> frkleint: I think those can be done in 5.6.3 directly. But we aren't doing merges from '5.6' -> '5.9' and so on those will be missing from '5.9' ->
[17:18:47] <jaheikki3> Will that be a problem then?
[17:19:31] <frkleint> That is the question, do they have any relevance...
[17:19:44] <frkleint> Any git experts around..how would tackle this?
[17:20:56] <jaheikki3> I think we can't agree that here today so I'll start mail discussion about this in dev ML
[17:21:01] <frkleint> yes
[17:21:49] <frkleint> cherry-pick from 5.6.3 into 5.9 for which the sanity bot will cry murder...
[17:23:02] <jaheikki3> And I think sanitybot will cry if change files are done directly to '5.6.3'
[17:23:24] <jaheikki3> But lets see what others thinks after my mail
[17:23:37] <jaheikki3> Thats all about 5.6.3 at this time
[17:23:41] <jaheikki3> Then 5.9.2:
[17:24:33] <jaheikki3> qt5.git integration succeed finally in 5.9.2
[17:25:00] <jaheikki3> content already exported & finalizing packaging configurations ongoing
[17:25:04] <frkleint> in 5.9, you mean?
[17:25:13] <frkleint> there is not branch yet, is there?
[17:25:21] <jaheikki3> frkleint: Yeah, true. We haven't branched yet
[17:25:35] <frkleint> [that would be a disaster since regression fixes are still integrating]
[17:25:40] <frkleint> pending
[17:26:26] <jaheikki3> Yeah. we are still working in '5.9'
[17:26:48] <jaheikki3> target is to get first snapshot for testing during this week
[17:26:49] <frkleint> and COIN is slow/dysfunctional as always...
[17:26:58] <frkleint> hm,ok
[17:27:00] <jaheikki3> true
[17:27:27] <jaheikki3> but this will be just a snapshot, not rc yet
[17:27:42] <frkleint> ok, and then branching, I guess
[17:28:30] <jaheikki3> yes, we will start branching from '5.9' to '5.9.3' after that. But we will get those few provisioning related changes from '5.6' in first
[17:29:08] <jaheikki3> That's all at this time
[17:29:33] <jaheikki3> Let's end the meeting now & have new one tue 29.8 as planned
[17:29:45] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:29:50] <akseli> bye
[17:30:48] <frkleint> bye
Releasing mailing list
Releasing at qt-project.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/attachments/20170823/5e961eca/attachment.html>

More information about the Releasing mailing list