[Releasing] [Development] Change file process & improvement proposal

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Fri Feb 10 16:21:26 CET 2017

Hi,

To sum the discussion here and also on gerrit up : There's no consensus on making [ChangeLog] entries mandatory, or making the [ChangeLog] field enabled by default.

Anyhow, Ossi had an interesting third suggestion on https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/183244/:

> how about this for an idea: we add a new gerrit category "ChangeLog" which needs a +1. it would be auto-set by the bot if a changelog file is touched, otherwise a reviewer needs to set it. easy to implement, reliable (well, as much as the reviewers), and adds no noise to the commit messages.

I understand that this would not be hard to do. This way nobody is forced to write changelog entries, but it requires a conscious click from the reviewer to say 'Yes, this does _not_ use a ChangeLog'.

Any strong opinion against this?

Kai