[Releasing] Avoiding platform test coverage regressions

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Thu Jan 26 10:48:56 CET 2017

Hi,

>>We continue to accept today's situation of knowingly regressing in platform test coverage for releases of Qt.
I didn't mean that and I think we shouldn't do this ;)

We have accepted that earlier with
a) Not defining missing platform as a release blocker
b) Blacklisting big mass of autotest

And I do agree we need to stop that. That is causing us lots of problems & false impression about our quality, test coverage & supported platforms.

But we cannot change all that at once; we are committed to deliver new releases & new features. So we need to improve the situation by doing baby steps to right direction. For example now; I think most important thing is to get missing platforms in the builds first (macOS 10.11, 10.12, msvc 2017, Ubuntu 16.10 etc). Even without running tests there. But we do need to make sure that all possible test must be run there eventuallyl. As soon as possible, well before official release. And I would state now that missing test coverage (meaning if we temporarily remove some test now to get new platform in) is p0 bug for the Qt 5.9.0 release and so on creating P0 bug for that is definitely OK. As you wrote p0 bug is good (I think best) way to get someone focusing to that issue...

And in addition to these new platforms I think we must put effort to reduce the amount of those blacklisted autotest. It is just wrong to have those in as much as there is now. I do understand that sometimes it is wise to blacklist the test to be able to proceed but in that case we must create a plan how to remove that blacklisting as soon as possible. p0 bug there would be good option as well. We tried that but it didn't work. Maybe it could be good time now to retry? But what to do for this existing mass of blacklisted autotest, it is also test coverage regression from previous releases? How we should fix that?

br,
Jani