[Releasing] [Development] Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Thu Jun 8 08:23:51 CEST 2017

On 7 Jun 2017, at 22:09, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com<mailto:thiago.macieira at intel.com>> wrote:

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 23:57:10 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
Hi all,

There has been discussion ongoing about 5.10 supported platforms and CI
configurations. What we haven't agreed yet is Qt 5.10 pre-built binaries. I
don't see big need to change anything from 5.9 but there is still couple of
things on my mind:

- Should we now switch from MinGW32 bit -> MinGW 64bit ones? With 5.9 this
was too early but would it be time to do it now? Offering both isn't an
option. And 5,9 is LTS so 5.10 could be good release to change that...

- Can we start using RHEL 7.4 for linux packaging? Tony is planning to add
RHEL 7.4 in CI and so on it would be wise to replace 7.2 with 7.4 in the
packaging as well

Is there some other change proposals which we should discuss about?

I'd like to propose raising the minimum version for GCC to 4.8.1, which is the
first C++11 complete version, or higher. The reason for this is actually to
drop GCC 4.7 and earlier, which have a few bugs with their C++11 support. GCC
4.7 has been the minimum since Qt 5.7.0 and is now 5 years old.

I'm not necessarily against it, as I believe we need to move forward with our compilers. But I am unsure how much sense this makes as long as we're still supporting VC++ 2013.

And dropping GCC 4.7 would imply dropping support for QNX 6.

Cheers,
Lars

I've just been bitten by one with QRandomGenerator, relating to calling static
member functions from a lambda. The workaround suggested in the Coding
Convention is not applicable going forward because Clang 5.0 will produce a
warning about it (I've updated the wiki), so we have to choose which one we'll
support very shortly, as soon as Apple begins shipping Clang based on the
current trunk version in XCode.

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) intel.com<http://intel.com/>