[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 13.06.2017
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Jun 14 08:27:30 CEST 2017
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 13th June 2017
Qt 5.9.1 status:
- First snapshot for testing available
- Soft branching ongoing, target to finalize branching Fri 16.6.2017
- Target to create Qt 5.9.1 "rc" immediately after branching finished
- And target is to release Qt 5.9.1 during week 26
* We will minimize changes in '5.9.0' branch & get in just a must have fixes for possible new issues from "rc"
* We won't block patch releases for 5.9 series because of some old issue. If fix isn't in early enough then it will be in next one.
** If we managed to do these regular releases that shouldn't be a problem at all
- Release team will do initial change files for the release immediately after branching finalized.
* Full git log will be as a base & maintainer can do modifications if needed. Otherwise initial ones will be used
Qt 5.10 and Qt 5.6.3 snapshots
- qt5.git integrations have gone through pretty well in all branches so it is pretty much just finalizing the installer confs
- Target is still to get first ones for testing during June
* We are really hurry with all this so we aren't sure if we managed to get both out in time
Next meeting 1.8.2017 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:16] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical:vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl:ablasche:ping
[17:00:25] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:56] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:10] <fkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:59] <jaheikki3> time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:14] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:27] <carewolf> pong
[17:02:42] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.9.1 status & plan forward
[17:03:06] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.10 & 5.6.3 snapshot status
[17:03:18] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:48] <thiago> you're covering all possible releases, so no :-)
[17:05:27] <jaheikki3> ;)
[17:05:37] <jaheikki3> Ok, lets start from 5.9.1:
[17:06:04] <jaheikki3> First snapshot for testing available internally
[17:06:28] <jaheikki3> It will be publicly available latest tomorrow morning
[17:07:03] <jaheikki3> RTA already ongoing, all seems to be OK so far
[17:07:36] <jaheikki3> Soft branching ongoing, target to finalize branching this Friday
[17:08:22] <jaheikki3> And target is to create "RC" for testing immediately after branching is finalized
[17:09:29] -*- thiago finished a Clang 5.0 build of 5.9.1
[17:09:32] <thiago> patches pushed
[17:09:39] <jaheikki3> And if no new blockers reported from RC put Qt 5.9.1 out at week starting 26th June
[17:09:40] <thiago> only qtnetworkauth had build issues
[17:10:10] <jaheikki3> thiago: ok, so those should be in early enough
[17:11:55] <jaheikki3> And because we are planning to do regular patch releases for 5.9 series we shouldn't block any because of some old issue. If fix isn'yt in early enough then it will be in next one. If we managed to do these releases regularly that shouldn't be a problem at all
[17:12:24] <thiago> clang 5.0 isn't released, so this is not urgent
[17:12:52] <jaheikki3> That's all about 5.9.1. Any comments or questions?
[17:13:15] <carewolf> should we ping maintainers for changes files
[17:13:47] <carewolf> or commit the templates?
[17:13:55] <jaheikki3> carewolf: yes, good point. We will be quite hurry with those.
[17:14:23] <fkleint> just push reviews with the default "no changes.."...
[17:14:56] <jaheikki3> or take put git log in & let maintainer clean it up if needed?
[17:15:48] <jaheikki3> Creating initial ones containg all stuff from git isn't that big issue, would that be ok?
[17:15:58] <fkleint> yup
[17:16:03] <carewolf> +1
[17:16:35] <jaheikki3> Great, we will create initial ones immediately when branching is finalized
[17:17:25] <jaheikki3> Ok, that was all about 5.9.1 at this time
[17:17:42] <jaheikki3> Then short update of Qt 5.10 and 5.6.3 snapshots:
[17:18:03] <jaheikki3> - Target is still to get first ones for testing during June
[17:18:51] <jaheikki3> - qt5.git integrations have gone through pretty well in all branches so it is pretty much just finalizing the installer confs
[17:19:20] <jaheikki3> - but we are reall yhurry with all this so we aren't sure if we managed to get both out in time
[17:20:11] <jaheikki3> - we wil ldo our best but if we don't have enough time then we will continue with those immediately after summer hoilidays
[17:21:11] <carewolf> the snapshot or 5.6.3?
[17:21:28] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Yes?
[17:21:36] <carewolf> which one will we have trouble getting out?
[17:21:41] <carewolf> both?
[17:22:13] <jaheikki3> Well, both is still ongoing. And for us priority order is 5.9.1, 5.10 and then 5.6.3
[17:22:24] <carewolf> I mean for 5.6.3, you are talking about also having a snapshot for that?
[17:22:32] <carewolf> ok
[17:23:35] <jaheikki3> yes, we will create snapshot for 5.6.3 as soon as possible as well .There is really much changes in '5.6' since 5.6.2 release and so on we need most probably few iterations before we are ready for Qt 5.6.3 release
[17:23:49] -*- thiago disagrees, 5.6.3 should come before 5.10
[17:24:13] <carewolf> yes. I also agree 5.6.3 is more important, and it is great it has an RC.
[17:24:33] <carewolf> especially in webengine where it upgraded the engine
[17:25:53] <carewolf> though snapshot 5.6.3, snapshot 5.10, 5.6.3, snapshot 5.10 continued, would be fine. and we can then see where they land over the vacation
[17:25:54] <jaheikki3> In the bigger picture 5.10 is more important for us. To get first snapshot out makes our life easier with Alpha & rest of schedule as well.
[17:26:28] <thiago> well, that is upside down
[17:26:39] <carewolf> yes, but 5.10 is not yet in feature freeze or alpha stage, so it is bit low priority currently
[17:26:40] <thiago> 5.6 is LTS and we haven't released anything in almost a year
[17:27:03] <thiago> how will users trust us to produce LTS when our track record is that we'll go for the shiny new thing instead?
[17:28:36] <carewolf> and 5.6.3 was scheduled for early 2017, so it is 6 months late at this point
[17:28:45] <jaheikki3> well, on the other hand you are right. But we will show with 5.9 series the new way of doing reqular releases. 5.6.3 is a bit difficult for us because it is so much different than 5.9 ->
[17:29:17] <jaheikki3> But I don't mean we don't try to get 5.6.3 out as soon as possible
[17:29:29] <carewolf> but if we get the snapshot out, people have a chance to test that, and at least we have something, then we can package it when time permits
[17:29:54] <jaheikki3> exactly
[17:30:46] <jaheikki3> So let's see what we can do still before summer holidays
[17:31:17] <jaheikki3> We will do our best and let's hope it is enough to get all that out ;)
[17:33:03] <jaheikki3> I think that's all at this time. I cannot join next Tuesday and then I start my summer holiday. So let's have next meeting Tue 1st August at this same time. OK?
[17:35:46] <fkleint> So, no release manager ;-)
[17:35:48] <fkleint> ?
[17:36:30] <jaheikki3> fkleint: You mean for 5.9.1? akseli will put the release out ;)
[17:36:37] <fkleint> oki
[17:37:51] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's end this meeting now. Thanks for your participation!
[17:37:53] <jaheikki3> Bye
[17:37:57] <fkleint> bye
More information about the Releasing