[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 05.09.2017

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Sep 6 06:53:28 CEST 2017

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 5th September 2017

Qt 5.10 status:
- Branching from 'dev' to '5.10' ready
- Target to get Alpha out as soon as possible
   * first we need to get qt5.git integrated in '5.10'. Some problems there, work ongoing to fix those as soon as possible
   * Then export the src packages, run some sanity checks & if all OK publish Alpha
- Target to publish binary snapshot based on Alpha packages soon after Alpha release
- API review to be started immediately when Alpha content in place
- Target is also to get first beta out soon after the Alpha release

Qt 5.6.3 status:
- Branching from '5.6' -> '5.6.3' done
- First testing round done as well and content seems to be pretty much ok
- Change file creation still ongoing. When remaining ones in we need to direct push those in '5.6.3' 
- Then qt5.git integration in '5.6.3', packaging and final testing for the packages. And if all OK we should be ready for Qt 5.6.3 release
- ('5.6' will be closed until 5.6.3 is out.)

Qt 5.9.2 status:
- Target to start branching after qt5 merge from '5.6.3' done
- Testing also ongoing; nothing alarming reported so far.
- Change files to be created immediately after we have branched from '9.2'
   * Soft branching will be used as usual.
- Target to get release out during September

Next meeting Tue 12th September 2017 16:00 CET


irc log below:
[17:00:44] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical:vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl:ablasche:ping 
[17:00:51] <ankokko_> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:52] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:54] <frkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:47] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:35] <jaheikki3> time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:42] <jaheikki3> on agenda today:
[17:02:51] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.10 status
[17:02:58] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.6.3 status
[17:03:06] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.9.2 status
[17:03:13] <carewolf> pong
[17:03:14] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:25] <thiago> not to the agenda, but can someone post an initial schedule for 5.11 feature freeze?
[17:05:33] <jaheikki3> thiago: I'll take an action point & do it. But as with 5.9 it will be ~befinning of Feb. I will check it & sent an mail to MLs
[17:05:48] <thiago> thanks
[17:05:58] <jaheikki3> ok, lets start from Qt 5.10 status:
[17:06:09] <jaheikki3> - Branching complete
[17:06:34] <jaheikki3> - Target to get alpha out as soon as we can get qt5.git integration succeed in '5.10'
[17:07:00] <jaheikki3> unfortunately there seems to be some problems with it, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/204362/
[17:07:01] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki3: [qt/qt5/5.10] Update submodules on '5.10' in qt5 from Qt Submodule Update Bot - https://codereview.qt-project.org/204362 (INTEGRATING)
[17:07:50] <jaheikki3> thiago: your change (https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/204229/) seems to cause some there as well, please see JP's comments
[17:07:51] <qt_gerrit> thiago: [qt/qtbase/5.10] Make qAddPostRoutine & family thread-safe from Thiago Macieira - https://codereview.qt-project.org/204229 (MERGED)
[17:08:26] <thiago> jaheikki3: push already submitted and integrating
[17:08:39] <thiago> sheesh, that's so an hour ago :-)
[17:09:06] <frkleint> How about all those Quick Controls test errors...are they under control?
[17:09:21] <jaheikki3> great, thanks!
[17:09:33] <jaheikki3> frkleint: should be, let's see...
[17:11:12] <jaheikki3> But otherwise we should be ready for the alpha.After qt5.git integration we need just to export src packages, run some sanitychecks & if all OK publish Alpha
[17:11:25] <jaheikki3> Target is to get it out still during this week
[17:11:59] <jaheikki3> And we are planning to publish binary snapshot based on Alpha content soon as well
[17:12:42] <thiago> nice
[17:13:23] <jaheikki3> And I hope we can release Beta1 quite soon after the Alpha release. I think it should be doable & ok because target is to create several betas as with 5.9 and so on first one doesn't need to be perfect one. 
[17:13:46] <frkleint> Has Edward been poked to create Header diffs?
[17:13:46] <jaheikki3> What is mandatory things to be done before beta1 release?
[17:13:56] <frkleint> Header diffs, BIC?
[17:14:08] <frkleint> API review...
[17:14:19] <jaheikki3> frkleint: not yet. I was planning to do immediately after alpha is out
[17:14:27] <frkleint> ok, the sooner the better
[17:14:42] <thiago> API review must finish before RC
[17:14:48] <thiago> but it doesn't need to finish before the betas
[17:15:00] <jaheikki3> I agree
[17:15:35] <jaheikki3> Target is to start first round immediately after alpha but I don't think we need to complete it before beta1
[17:16:54] <jaheikki3> So is there anything which we really have to complete before first beta release? Or can we put it out when testing indicates binaries are good enough to start wider testing?
[17:19:19] <jaheikki3> Lets get back to beta1 when alpha is out & first feedback available
[17:19:29] <frkleint> [a quick sanity check for a BC break or wildly odd API would be comforting, but anyways]
[17:20:01] <thiago> the BIC check should be running
[17:20:08] <thiago> are the 5.9.0 files imported, finally?
[17:20:31] <jaheikki3> thiago: To be honest I am not sure but will check with Milla tomorrow
[17:21:01] <jaheikki3> But that is pretty much all about 5.10 at this time
[17:21:11] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.6.3 status:
[17:21:30] <jaheikki3> - Brabching from '5.6' -> '5.6.3' done
[17:22:01] <jaheikki3> - First testing round done as well and content seems to be pretty much ok
[17:22:37] <jaheikki3> - Change file creation still ongoing, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/message:%22Add+change+file+for%22,n,z
[17:23:04] <jaheikki3> When remaining ones in we need to direct push those in '5.6.3' 
[17:23:46] <jaheikki3> Then qt5.git integration in '5.6.3', package creation & final testing 
[17:24:06] <jaheikki3> And if all ok we should be ready for QT 5.6.3 release
[17:24:22] <jaheikki3> Any comments / questions ?
[17:24:34] <thiago> just make sure no one pushes to 5.6
[17:24:37] <fregl> sounds good for 5.6.3
[17:24:40] <thiago> only to 5.6.3 branch
[17:25:04] <jaheikki3> that's ok for me. fregl: could you disable staging in '5.6' ?
[17:25:41] <fregl> thiago: there were actually some minor things in qt5.git that went into the 5.6 branch already, they are completely insignificant infrastructure bits. not sure why they had to go there, but seems the release team is not really coordinating on this kind of thing.
[17:25:47] <fregl> jaheikki3: OK
[17:26:08] <thiago> just make one final fast-forward merge and disable
[17:26:11] <thiago> we don't need two branches
[17:27:13] <fregl> it's disabled now, but yeah, we could merge I presume
[17:28:08] <jaheikki3> fregl: that's OK as well even we don't need those changes in '5.6.3'
[17:29:00] <fregl> actually it's not ff since the submodule branches were adjusted in 5.6.3 :(
[17:29:14] <fregl> but yeah, since the changes are only for provisioning, let's ignore them
[17:29:26] <jaheikki3> And for the future should be restrict staging in '5.6' somehow? Now it seems everyone has rights...
[17:30:11] <fregl> one of them is a complete no-op anyway, not sure about the other two
[17:30:39] <fregl> jaheikki3: now nobody can stage, that includes the release team, since they were the ones dropping in stuff
[17:31:09] <fregl> and only the release team can stage in 5.6.3.
[17:31:15] <jaheikki3> fregl: yeah, and thats totally ok now;) But I meant time after 5.6.3 release
[17:31:37] <fregl> let's chat then, we can add the release team again
[17:31:39] <frkleint> Some sort of maintainer approval maybe, but we cannot decide here
[17:32:08] <fregl> considering how little change 5.6 should see, I think release team is fine then
[17:32:21] <fregl> if that doesn't scale we can discuss it on the mailing list
[17:32:34] <jaheikki3> agree
[17:33:55] <jaheikki3> But let's get back to this when Qt 5.6.3 is out & when we will enable staging again in '5.6'
[17:34:37] <thiago> yeah
[17:34:41] <jaheikki3> Then 5.9.2 status
[17:35:27] <jaheikki3> - Target to start branching after qt5 merge from '5.6.3' done
[17:36:16] <jaheikki3> - Testing also ongoing; nothing alarming reported so far. Mostly some packaging related issues which is quite trivial to be fixed
[17:36:38] <thiago> and the SHA3 thing
[17:37:45] <carewolf> change files?
[17:38:04] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Yes, those needs to be done immediately after we have branched
[17:38:27] <jaheikki3> thiago: true, is than already ok?
[17:38:41] <thiago> waiting for one final reply on whether it's opt-in or opt-out
[17:39:31] <jaheikki3> ok
[17:40:36] <jaheikki3> But overall we are quite close to release there as well. Target to get it out during September, preferrably withing coming two weeks
[17:40:44] <jaheikki3> Any other comments or questions?
[17:41:47] <thiago> September looks good
[17:42:17] <jaheikki3> I have one: Do we need to do soft branching with 5.9.2 or can we do it immediately when ready? 
[17:42:34] <thiago> 5.9 is a different case, since there are more changes
[17:42:35] <thiago> for now
[17:42:52] <thiago> maybe for later releases we'll do it differently
[17:43:17] <jaheikki3> Ok for me, let's use soft branching now as usual
[17:44:22] <jaheikki3> Ok, this was all at this time. Let's have new meeting Tue 12 Sep as planned
[17:44:33] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation. Bye!
[17:44:44] <ankokko_> bye
[17:46:14] <fregl> cy
[17:46:19] <fregl> cu :)

More information about the Releasing mailing list