[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 21.08.2018

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Thu Aug 23 08:26:24 CEST 2018

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 21st August 2018

Qt 5.12 status:
- Branching finalized & FF in effect
- Target is to get Alpha out as soon as possible
   * One issue still open in blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=19449
       ** That should be only Alpha blocker; RTA indicates previous packages to be good enough for alpha otherwise
- API review to be started now

Qt 5.11.2 status:
- Branching ongoing, target to finalize it this Friday
- First snapshot available & testing ongoing
   * Publicly visible as well
   * Seems to be pretty OK but few blockers still open, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=19450
- Changes files to be created immediately when branching is finalized
   * As earlier release team will do initial ones. I'll send notification when ones available

Qt 5.9.7:
- Preparations for the release to be started after Qt 5.12 Alpha is out

Next meeting Tue 28th August 2018 16:00 CET


irc log below:
[17:00:03] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical:vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl:ablasche:lars: ping 
[17:00:11] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:12] <ankokko_> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:14] <lars> pong
[17:00:27] <tronical> pong
[17:01:04] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:25] <jaheikki3> time to start Qt release team meeting
[17:01:30] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:01:34] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.12 status
[17:01:38] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.11.2 status 
[17:01:46] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:44] <frkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:04:04] <jaheikki3> Let's start from Qt 5.12 status:
[17:04:20] <jaheikki3> Branching finalized & FF in effect
[17:04:42] <jaheikki3> Target is to get Alpha out as soon as possible
[17:05:06] <jaheikki3> At the moment there is still one issue open in blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=19449
[17:06:09] <jaheikki3> Otherwise we should be quite close; RTA has been executed for snapshot packages and no other blockers found
[17:06:38] <thiago> anyone testing MSVC 15.8?
[17:07:09] <frkleint> no, we don't have it
[17:07:12] <jaheikki3> It isn't in CI yet
[17:07:19] <thiago> ok
[17:07:26] <thiago> because everyone who has MSVC 2017 has it
[17:07:36] <thiago> I've got a report of FTBFS
[17:07:39] <frkleint> not so, it seems
[17:07:54] <frkleint> but isn;t this alignment crap fixed now?
[17:08:00] <thiago> something else
[17:08:02] <thiago> qalgorithms.h
[17:08:05] <frkleint> uargs
[17:08:06] <thiago> it happens during a unit ttest
[17:08:13] <frkleint> oooohk
[17:08:17] <thiago> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69983
[17:08:18] <qt_gerrit> thiago: WIN64: 'expression did not evaluate to a constant' errors for QtBase qsizepolicy builds using MSVC 15.8 - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69983 (Open)
[17:08:46] <frkleint> sigh
[17:08:52] <frkleint> this test is crap anyways
[17:09:02] <thiago> so not P1?
[17:09:05] <frkleint> it tests a gazillion values , taking seconds
[17:09:18] <jaheikki3> I think that isn't Alpha blocker
[17:09:30] <tronical> build failure for an auto-test doesn't sound like a blocker to me for an alpha
[17:09:48] <frkleint> yes, we cross that bridge when we get there 
[17:11:01] <thiago> ok
[17:11:22] <thiago> I really should we need someone to do a full build with 15.8
[17:11:27] <thiago> even if not in the CI
[17:11:29] <frkleint> Hah = reporter sav ->Invalid
[17:11:39] <thiago> no tests, but ok
[17:11:45] <tronical> frkleint: why?
[17:11:52] <thiago> it's not an ICC issue
[17:12:33] <jaheikki3> I agree we should get 15.8 tested as soon as possible. I'll discuss with tosaraja
[17:12:39] <frkleint> tronical: Fancy fixing all his "I am using ICC with a compiler option I don';t understand with gold linker cross compiled with MinGW 7.3..." reports?
[17:13:20] <frkleint> yes, if we get 15.8 regularly installed
[17:13:54] <thiago> sav reports issues with ICC on Windows
[17:13:59] <thiago> they get reassigned back to him
[17:14:23] <thiago> but this one is a pure MSVC one, or at least until someone can try and say "cannot reproduce"
[17:15:53] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think that was all about 5.12 at this time
[17:16:00] <frkleint> yes, if we manage to get it installed, but this testr should be simplified anyways
[17:16:01] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.11.2:
[17:16:39] <jaheikki3> Branching is ongoing, target is to finalize it this Friday
[17:16:49] <jaheikki3> First snapshot available & testing ongoing
[17:17:19] <jaheikki3> Btw, snapshot is publicly available as well
[17:18:04] <jaheikki3> According to RTA it seems to be pretty ok but there is still few issues open in blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=19450
[17:18:28] <frkleint> jaheikki: Can you please stage https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/237350/ for Creator?
[17:18:29] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki: [qt/qttools/5.11.2] Qt Designer: Fix crash when reloading resources from Friedemann Kleint - https://codereview.qt-project.org/237350 (NEW)
[17:18:34] <tronical> jaheikki3: can I add https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69793 to the list?
[17:18:34] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki3: [REG 5.11.1->5.12.0] qdoc.exe does not launch, libclang.dll missing (MSVC) - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69793 (In Progress)
[17:18:44] <frkleint> huh>
[17:18:59] <frkleint> I thought that was working? statically linked?
[17:19:19] <tronical> yes, it stopped working, so I'd say it's a regression
[17:19:30] <jaheikki3> tronical: Yes
[17:19:42] <jaheikki3> frkleint: staged
[17:19:48] <frkleint> thx
[17:21:02] <jaheikki3> And as usual changes files needs to be created for Qt 5.11.2. Release team will create initial ones immediately after branching is finalized
[17:21:41] <jaheikki3> But that's all about 5.11.2. Any other comments or questions?
[17:22:32] <frkleint> Maybe start the  5.12 API Review ?
[17:22:48] <frkleint> (Asking with the Qt for Python Hat on)
[17:23:05] <jaheikki3> frkleint: Yeah, true. That can be started already now; no need to wait alpha release
[17:23:20] <frkleint> since it would be nice to have stability there...
[17:24:01] <jaheikki3> I'll ask eddy to run his scripts & start API review
[17:24:05] <frkleint> thanks
[17:24:10] <carewolf> what about the next 5.9.x release? Is it still scheduled for september? 
[17:24:55] <carewolf> We have a security patch that should released with 5.11.2, and preferably could be announced with a 5.9.7 release if it also near schedule
[17:25:10] <jaheikki3> carewolf: we discussed that in last meeting & agreed to check it later; there wasn't so many changes since previous release yet. So target is end of september/october atm
[17:25:30] <thiago> there wasn't a security fix last meeting
[17:25:47] <jaheikki3> thiago: That's true
[17:27:23] <carewolf> if there aren't many changes it should be easy to bumb it up early so we have a double release if we have the power for that
[17:28:39] <jaheikki3> carewolf: it is mostly RTA & CI capasity. We are now doing 2 releases paraller so I wouldn't take third at same time. 
[17:29:10] <carewolf> right, but 5.12 beta is still a month out now
[17:29:19] <carewolf> but I know it is tight
[17:31:29] <jaheikki3> Yeah. So you think end of September is too late?
[17:32:49] <carewolf> Depends on how we want to communicate it. I would rather delay 5.11.2 and move 5.9.7 ahead, so they are close and we have good messaging. But 5.6 is going to be dealt with using a patch anyway, so it probably doesn't matter that much
[17:34:35] <jaheikki3> In that case we could try to start preparations for 5.9.7 when 5.12 Alpha is out & see how quickly we can get it out... But let's not delay 5.11.2 because it is important release as well for our other deliveries
[17:34:45] <carewolf> ok
[17:35:41] <jaheikki3> Ok, it was all at this time. Let's have new meeting tue 28th August as planned
[17:35:52] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation. Bye!
[17:36:00] <frkleint> bye
[17:36:02] <ankokko_> bye
[17:37:11] <thiago> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list