[Releasing] [Interest] Qt 5.9 and OpenSSL 1.1?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sat Mar 23 13:00:21 CET 2019

Hi,

Il 20/03/19 21:28, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:

> Still, I don't think we should make a release after December this year,
> because of the OpenSSL support. I propose we shorten the 5.9 support to 30
> months, ending in November 2019 instead of May 2020, due to OpenSSL's EOL of
> the only branch we're compatible with.

I'm not particularly fond of going back on support promises. Also,
whilst OpenSSL is important, there are applications simply not using
QtNetwork or SSL.

I think I'll stand with the remark that an application depending on N
3rd party components (libraries, tools, OS, Linux distribution, you name
it) should look at which single component ends its support first, as
that's the latest date at which the application itself will become
unsupported.

My 2c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts