[Releasing] [Development] Changes planned for the online installer

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Mon Mar 25 08:22:59 CET 2019

> On 19/03/2019, 15.47, "Sze Howe Koh" <szehowe.koh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    I made a tool to help with (B), but it was meant to be a quick and
>    dirty hack [3]. I didn't expect it to still be in use 5 years later.
>    Please provide the ability to override the default mirror within the
>    installer itself.

Thanks for the feedback. It is true that sometimes user gets a "wrong" mirror, but good thing is that oftentimes the mirror given by the system is a good one. So far we have not planned to make manual mirror selection part of the installer as it could also be confusing.

Another approach that would help is to have more mirrors and to have the content synced faster (and give more time to sync - sometimes we have tried to wait a day before making the release announcement).

This would be a good opportunity to recommend everyone to contact your local "ftp server" providers and ask if they could mirror Qt. We do not have any mirror in Australia, for example. We do have quite nice amount of mirrors, but there is always room for more: https://download.qt.io/static/mirrorlist/

Instructions on how to become a mirror are: https://wiki.qt.io/Mirror_howto

Yours,

	Tuukka