[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 29.10.2019

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Oct 30 09:10:24 CET 2019

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 29th October 2019

Qt 5.14 status:
- Beta2 released last week, testing ongoing
- Beta3 preparations started
- API review is still ongoing
- Checking 3rd party component updates ongoing, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-79416
- Quite many issues open in release blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=21539
   * Please fix all blockers from list immediately!

Qt 5.13.2:
- Release content finally in place and package creation ongoing
   * Qt packages already available & RTA ongoing
   * Device Creation packaging ongoing
- We will release these packages as Qt 5.13.2 later this week if nothing new & really serious found during RTA testing

Qt 5.12.6:
- Release preparations to be started
   * Soft branch '5.12.6' from ' 5.12' Wed 30th October
   * Final downmerge from ' 5.12' to '5.12.6' 6th November
   * Release target 15th November 2019

Qt 5.9.9:
- Release preparations to be started when 5.12.6 is somehow "ready"
   * Release will be done directly from '5.9' branch
   * Preparations for the release starts at week 46 
   * Qt 5.9.9 will be released after Qt 5.14.0 release
      *  we should be able to get it out by the end of the year

Next meeting Tue 5th November 2019 16:00 CET

Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager

irc log below:
[17:00:53] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:59] <akseli> pong
[17:01:04] <frkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:07] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:31] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:39] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:46] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.14 status
[17:02:52] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.13.2 status
[17:03:03] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.12.6 plan
[17:03:13] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:32] <thiago> what's the status on the next 5.9?
[17:04:09] <jaheikki3> thiago: yeah, let's take that in the agenda as well
[17:04:26] <jaheikki3> But let's start from Qt 5.14 status
[17:04:40] <jaheikki3> Beta2 released last week
[17:04:47] <jaheikki3> Testing ongoing
[17:04:58] <jaheikki3> Beta3 preparations also started
[17:04:58] <frkleint> No/outdated webengine
[17:05:00] <frkleint> stil;l 
[17:05:29] <jaheikki3> frkleint: not yet. we need one fix in qt5.git first & after that we can do needed windows SDK update
[17:05:37] <frkleint> hm
[17:05:54] <jaheikki3> Fix is already in & qt5.git integration ongoing
[17:06:07] <thiago> sdk update for webengine?
[17:06:13] <thiago> what does one thing have to do with the other?
[17:06:26] <carewolf> thiago: chromium uses recent windows SDKs 
[17:06:43] <carewolf> so when we update Chromium we often need a newer SDK to keep building
[17:07:04] <thiago> sure, but why do we need to wait to update the SDK?
[17:07:09] <frkleint> crosses all fingers that won't break WinRT since that requires some older SDK/...
[17:07:49] <jaheikki3> hoping so...
[17:07:53] <carewolf> no idea, but sometimes stuff breaks, and when we have qtwebengine without CI tests, we sometime hits tests that suddenly fail when it comes back
[17:09:10] <jaheikki3> thiago: I am not sure if we need to wait update but we have used older one earlier & we just have to update it now to get we compiled
[17:10:14] <thiago> ok
[17:10:48] <jaheikki3> API review is also still ongoing. Hoping we can get it finalized soon
[17:11:12] <jaheikki3> Checking 3rd party component updates ongoing as well, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-79416
[17:12:03] <jaheikki3> Would be good to get that done before beta3 but if not that's Ok as well; it is done in next one then
[17:12:38] <jaheikki3> And in release blocker list there is quite many issues open atm, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=21539
[17:12:50] <jaheikki3> Please fix all as soon as possible
[17:13:11] <jaheikki3> That's pretty much all about 5.14 status at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:14:16] <frkleint> maybe KDAB should be poked about Qt3D breakgesa?
[17:14:39] <jaheikki3> frkleint: in the blocker list?
[17:15:09] <frkleint> jaheikki3 yes
[17:15:24] <frkleint> since they don;t fix themselves, typically
[17:15:38] <jaheikki3> Yes, I will brownse through blockers & send reminder for responsible persons
[17:16:21] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.13.2 status
[17:16:35] <jaheikki3> We have finally release content in place
[17:16:51] <jaheikki3> Qt packages already available & RTA ongoing
[17:17:11] <jaheikki3> And creating device creation packages is also ongoiing
[17:17:44] <jaheikki3> We will release these packages as Qt 5.13.2 later this week if nothing new & serious enough found during testing
[17:18:15] <jaheikki3> That's the status. Any comments or questions?
[17:18:53] <carewolf> sounds good
[17:19:22] <jaheikki3> Ok, then Qt 5.12.6 plan
[17:19:55] <thiago> will test packages include the submodules?
[17:19:55] <jaheikki3> Let's start soft branching '5.12.6' from ' 5.12' tomorrow
[17:19:57] <thiago> for (5.13)
[17:20:07] <thiago> I can't build them in the distro if it's the whole thing
[17:20:49] <jaheikki3> thiago: I will update submodule packages as well in http://download.qt.io/snapshots/qt/
[17:21:16] <thiago> thanks
[17:21:57] <jaheikki3> And let's have final downmege from 5.12 to 5.12.6 wed 6th November
[17:22:26] <jaheikki3> And let's target to release Qt 5.12.6 19th November
[17:22:42] <jaheikki3> That's the 5.12.6 plan at the moment
[17:22:49] <jaheikki3> Any comments or questions?
[17:24:18] <The-Compiler> 19th November is Qt Contributors Summit which might affect availability of some people?
[17:24:47] <thiago> good point
[17:24:52] <jaheikki3> Yeah
[17:24:53] <thiago> pull it in by a couple of days?
[17:25:38] <jaheikki3> Let's try to get it out 15th November then
[17:26:28] <jaheikki3> Might be a bit tight but on the other hand it is already 6th patch so it should be quite easy
[17:26:57] <thiago> yeah
[17:27:02] -*- thiago crosses fingers, knocks on wood
[17:27:10] <jaheikki3> Same here :D
[17:27:17] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.9 plan
[17:27:42] <jaheikki3> As agreed earlier we should release one more patch (5.9.9) during this year
[17:27:59] <jaheikki3> And then 5.9 series is done
[17:28:09] <frkleint> [woho finally]
[17:28:49] <thiago> when should we aim to get it out?
[17:28:51] <thiago> after QtCS?
[17:29:01] <thiago> when is 5.14 trending?
[17:29:06] <jaheikki3> To keep things under control let's start preparations when 5.12.6 is somehow ready. maybe not released yet but quite close
[17:29:52] <jaheikki3> Do we need to branch 5.9.9 at all? could we do the release directly from '5.9'? 
[17:30:00] <thiago> directly from 5.9 should suffice
[17:30:10] <thiago> it's low-activity right now
[17:30:26] <jaheikki3> Yeah, that is my opinion as well
[17:32:01] <jaheikki3> So if we start preparations at week 46 and target to get release out at week 49, tue 3rd December
[17:32:17] <jaheikki3> Would that be OK?
[17:32:48] <carewolf> could it be after 5.14.0?
[17:33:41] <thiago> I'd schedule it for after 5.14, with hopefully all fixes in 5.9.9 backported from 5.14.0
[17:34:42] <jaheikki3> So let's start preparations at week 46 & release Qt 5.9.9 after Qt 5.14.0 is out
[17:34:53] <carewolf> +1
[17:35:12] <jaheikki3> Current target for Qt 5.14.0 is end of November but let's see if we managed to keep it...
[17:35:27] <thiago> our track record is slippage of no more than 2 weeks
[17:35:36] <thiago> so we should be able to get it by the end of the year
[17:35:42] <jaheikki3> Yeah, true
[17:36:18] <jaheikki3> Ok, this was all at this time. 
[17:36:44] <jaheikki3> Let's end this meeting now & have new one Tue 5th November at this time
[17:36:57] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:37:47] <carewolf> bye
[17:38:10] <thiago> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list