[Releasing] FW: GNU make 4.3 released!

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Jan 20 11:18:44 CET 2020

Just a heads-up: GNU make shall have some incompatible changes sooner or
later.  I don't suppose Coin is affected immediately, but 4.3 shall
become the default on some supported platform eventually.  So we may
want to check whether our generated make-files will work with it, before
that update comes along.

In particular, suffix rules now behave according to the POSIX standard,
which turned up quite a lot of make files that have problems, due to
rules like:

.c.o: pch.h

whose author may have expected it to define a *.c -> *.o rule that has
the .o depend on pch.h, thereby ensuring pch.h is built first (this
dependency was never handled); but this is syntactically invalid.  In
4.3 it gets a warning, in some later release that shall be upgraded to
an error.

Full release mail here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2020-01/msg00057.html

	Eddy.