[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 2.6.2020

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Tue Jun 2 16:32:38 CEST 2020

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 2nd June 2020

Qt 5.15 status:
- 5.15.0 released Tue 26th May
- 5.15.1 planned to be released on August

Qt 5.12.9:
- Release preparations started
   * Soft branching from '5.12' to '5.12.9' should start today
   * Final downmerge from '5.12' to '5.12.9' will happen at the end of this week
- Release target Tue 16th June
   * Initial changes files will be created soon, please finalize those immediately when available to avoid delay to the release
   * release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22349 . Please make sure all blockers are visible in the list immediately.

Next meeting Tue 4.8.2020 16:00 CET

Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager

irc log below:
[17:00:40] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:48] <frkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:23] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:36] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:45] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:56] <carewolf> pong
[17:03:05] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15 status
[17:03:13] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.12 status
[17:03:21] <jaheikki3> Any additional items to the agenda?
[17:03:40] <carewolf> is the date of 5.15.1 set in stone? It seems odd not to have in June
[17:04:57] <carewolf> I guess that could fall under 5.15 status though
[17:05:19] <jaheikki3> Yeah, that will be part of Qt 5.15.0 statua
[17:05:33] <jaheikki3> So let's start from Qt 5.15.0 status
[17:05:39] <jaheikki3> It will be short :D
[17:05:45] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15.0 released
[17:05:55] <jaheikki3> ~ a week ago
[17:05:55] <carewolf> yay!
[17:06:03] <jaheikki3> Nothing alarmin so far
[17:06:17] <jaheikki3> Target is to release Qt 5.15.1 in August
[17:07:28] <jaheikki3> I understand that it would be good to be able to get it out before summer holidays but after discusions with others & mgmt we have agreed August should be ok
[17:08:08] <jaheikki3> But that's pretty much all about Qt 5.15 status at the moment. Any comments or questions?
[17:08:08] <carewolf> ok, we just always have had a x.1 release in June when we released in May. 
[17:08:35] <frkleint> but it would be good to have it stabilized well before 6.0,. that is, at 5.15.2, 3
[17:08:49] <frkleint> due to the changed licensing
[17:09:55] <carewolf> that too
[17:11:15] <jaheikki3> Yeah. It is just that we want to avoid unnecessary hassle & delays to holiday plans and that's why August is much better
[17:11:27] <jaheikki3> As I wrote that is OK to mgmt as well
[17:12:31] <jaheikki3> And it seems 5.15.0 is actually pretty good one so 5.15.1 in august should be enough. And then there is time to do additional patch releases before Qt6.0.0
[17:13:30] <carewolf> I would have preferred an earlier release, so we could fix a few regression in qtwebengine (pdf viewer broken for instance) before updating chromium in 5.15.2 :/
[17:13:42] <carewolf> oh well
[17:16:40] <jaheikki3> I understand. But let's try that plan now. We will start release preparations at the end of July so we should be able to get the release out ~ Mid August. 
[17:17:46] <jaheikki3> Ok, then Qt 5.12 status
[17:18:21] <jaheikki3> We have agreet to (try) to release Qt 5.12.9 before summer holidays
[17:18:42] <jaheikki3> That should be quite easy release so even there isn't that much time left that should be doable
[17:18:56] <jaheikki3> So release preparations is already started
[17:19:08] <frkleint> does it have any changes at all...
[17:19:40] <jaheikki3> actually there is ~90 changes 
[17:19:57] <frkleint> oho
[17:20:01] <carewolf> we will be adding around 40 more for webengine
[17:20:08] <jaheikki3> But of course ~ 40 of those are version bumbs etc so ~40-50 real ones
[17:20:49] <jaheikki3> Soft branching from '5.12' to '5.12.9' should start today
[17:21:33] <jaheikki3> And let's keep soft branching period short & do the final downmerge from '5.12' to '5.12.9' at the end of this week
[17:21:55] <jaheikki3> And release target is Tue 16th June
[17:22:07] <jaheikki3> Initial changes files will be created soon, please finalize those immediately when available to avoid delay to the release
[17:22:31] <jaheikki3> And make sure all release blockers are visible in blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22349
[17:22:54] <jaheikki3> But that's all about 5.12 status now, any other comments or questions?
[17:25:49] <jaheikki3> Ok, it was all at this time.
[17:25:53] <jaheikki3> I think there isn't that much releasing related stuff to handle before summer vacatios so I let's have next meeting at the beginning of August
[17:26:29] <akseli> +1
[17:26:55] <jaheikki3> Thanks for participation, bye!
[17:28:17] <frkleint> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list