[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 27.10.2020
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Oct 28 06:58:17 CET 2020
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 27th October 2020
Qt 6.0 status:
- Beta2 released today
- Updating 3rd party components started, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-87923
- String Freeze will be in effect 4th November 2020
* Soft string freeze 28.10.2020
- Target is to be ready for RC ~ mid November as planned
* Issues to be fixed before RC here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22682
** Please make sure all blockers are visible in the list
- We will continue Qt6 work still in 'dev'; branching from 'dev' to '6.0' will happen later, closer to RC
Qt 5.12.10 status:
- Creating first snapshot finally ongoing
- Target is to test the snapshot immediately when available
- Release content not ready yet, qtbase changes file not in yet
--> Release will be delayed
- Target is to create final release packages immediately when content is ready
- Target is to release Qt 5.12.10 as soon as possible but most probably it will happen earliest at the beginning of next week
Qt 5.15.2 status:
- Branching from '5.15' to '5.15.2' done
- Initial changes files created, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/message:%2522Add+changes+file+for+Qt+5.15.2%2522+branch:5.15.2
* Please finalize those during this week
- Target is to finalize release content latest at the end of this week & release Qt 5.15.2 3rd November as planned
* Release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22658
Next meeting Tue 3rd November 2020 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:37] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:51] <lars> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:30] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:25] <jaheikki3> time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:30] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:36] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.0 status
[17:02:41] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.12.10 status
[17:02:46] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15.2 status
[17:02:55] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:37] <jaheikki3> Let's start from qt6 status
[17:04:44] <jaheikki3> bet2 released today
[17:05:03] <jaheikki3> Updating 3rd party components started, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-87923
[17:05:37] <jaheikki3> According original plan the target is to be ready for RC ~ mid November
[17:05:51] <jaheikki3> So we need to start string freeze really soon
[17:06:20] <jaheikki3> So lets announce soft string freeze tomorrow & official string freeze wed 4th November
[17:06:39] <jaheikki3> Issues to be fixed before RC here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22682
[17:06:56] <thiago> sigh
[17:06:59] <carewolf> didn't we change something about how we handle 3rdparty components in qt6?
[17:07:08] <thiago> didn't pay attention to why third party externally didn't work
[17:07:14] <jaheikki3> there is now 20 items in the list. lease make sure all release blockerare visible in the list immediately
[17:07:43] <thiago> I guess we'll need to look into this for 6.1, after the qmake build is no longer there
[17:07:54] <thiago> then we can use cmake external project support
[17:08:01] <jaheikki3> carewolf: that has the plan but it seems we haven't time to do it yet
[17:08:07] <carewolf> ok
[17:08:15] <lars> thiago: carewolf: was just too much work, given that we also changed the build system. I'd still like to see this changing in the future though.
[17:08:15] <thiago> it wasn't time. Something didn't work
[17:08:18] <thiago> I don't remember what
[17:09:41] <jaheikki3> ok. But as written above hoping that can be changed in some future release
[17:10:46] <jaheikki3> Please test beta2 now to identify all release blockers now
[17:11:14] <jaheikki3> What about branching from dev to 6.0?
[17:11:26] <jaheikki3> Should be start it soon?
[17:11:32] <jaheikki3> be==we
[17:11:42] <jaheikki3> lars:?
[17:12:23] <lars> I'd say when we start preparing the RC. Looking at the amount of work happening for 6.0 currently, I'd prefer to avoid a cherry-pick mode for a little while longer.
[17:12:48] <carewolf> right.. chery-picking mode...
[17:13:04] <jaheikki3> Ok, agree
[17:13:24] <thiago> agreed
[17:13:36] <jaheikki3> That was all what I was in my mind for Qt6 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:13:37] <thiago> btw, which direction do we cherry-pick?
[17:13:45] <thiago> dev->6.0 or 6.0->dev?
[17:14:09] <lars> dev->6.0
[17:14:22] <thiago> ok
[17:14:54] <lars> the other way round would be rather confusing.
[17:15:10] <lars> and not what we've been doing so far.
[17:15:23] <jaheikki3> Yeah,agree
[17:15:33] <carewolf> we could branch around RC1
[17:16:05] <carewolf> though maybe that is for 6.0.0
[17:16:14] <thiago> there alrady are 6.1 changes pending
[17:16:18] <carewolf> right
[17:16:59] <lars> yes, I think we should branch 6.0. 6.0.0 we can probably wait with until just before the final packages
[17:17:15] <lars> and dev becomes 6.1 after the branch
[17:18:35] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.12.10 status:
[17:18:50] <jaheikki3> Creating first snapshot finally ongoing
[17:19:44] <jaheikki3> Snapshot testing (RTA) will start immediately when packages available
[17:19:54] <jaheikki3> Release content not ready yet, qtbase changes file not in yet
[17:20:11] <carewolf> somebody working on them?
[17:20:12] <jaheikki3> So quite obvious that we can't release Qt 5.12.10 today as planned
[17:20:25] <jaheikki3> carewolf: hoping so...
[17:20:59] <jaheikki3> We will create final release packages immediately when content can be frozen
[17:21:22] <jaheikki3> and release Qt 5.12.10 as soon as possible.
[17:21:42] <jaheikki3> but most probably it will happen earliest at the beginning of next week
[17:22:00] <jaheikki3> That's all about Qt 5.12.10. Any comments or questions?
[17:24:14] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.15.2 status
[17:24:28] <jaheikki3> Branching from '5.15' to '5.15.2' done
[17:24:43] <jaheikki3> Initial changes files created, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/message:%2522Add+changes+file+for+Qt+5.15.2%2522+branch:5.15.2
[17:24:51] <jaheikki3> Please finalize those during this week
[17:25:05] <jaheikki3> Target is to finalize release content latest at the end of this week & release Qt 5.15.2 3rd November as planned
[17:25:12] <jaheikki3> Release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22658
[17:25:29] <jaheikki3> That's all about 5.15.2 status at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:27:02] <thiago> not from me
[17:27:36] <jaheikki3> Ok, this was all at this time. Let's end this meeting now & have next one tue 3rd November at this same time as planned
[17:27:49] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:27:55] <carewolf> bye
[17:28:45] <lars> bye
More information about the Releasing