[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 08.09.2020

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Tue Sep 8 16:34:25 CEST 2020

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 8th September 2020

Qt 5.15.1 status
- Release content is ready & final verification ongoing
- We will release Qt 5.15.1 Wed 9th September 

Qt 6.0 status:
- No new snapshot available after FF
   * Problems to get all submodules compiled with same qtbase SHA1
      ** New try ongoing & looks promising. 
- API review started, see https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-September/040279.html
   * not than many volunteers for helping so far; All help is welcome!
- Alpha preparations ongoing
   * Alpha blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22622
   * Quite many issues still open -> we most probably can't keep the original schedule

Next meeting tue 15th September 2020 16:00 CET

Jani Heikkinen 
Release Manager

irc log below:
[17:00:05] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:11] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:23] <lars> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:35] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:01:44] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:01:49] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15.1 status
[17:01:53] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.0 status
[17:02:04] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:31] <jaheikki3> Lets start Qt 5.15.1 status:
[17:03:41] <jaheikki3> Release content is ready & final verification ongoing
[17:04:00] <jaheikki3> We will release Qt 5.15.1 Wed 9th September
[17:04:18] <jaheikki3> That's all about 5.15.1 status :D Any comments or questions?
[17:04:29] <lars> sounds good. great to get it out :)
[17:05:10] <jaheikki3> Yes, agree
[17:05:15] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 6.0 status
[17:05:34] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately no new snapshot available after FF
[17:05:51] <jaheikki3> Problem is to get all submodules compiled with same qtbase SHA1
[17:06:02] <jaheikki3> New try is ongoing & looks promising
[17:06:33] <jaheikki3> Only couple of submodules left; hoping we can get those compiled without updating qtbase
[17:06:46] <jaheikki3> API review started, see https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-September/040279.html
[17:06:59] <jaheikki3> Alpha preparations ongoing
[17:07:11] <thiago> which ones aren't compiling?
[17:07:16] <thiago> is there a list?
[17:07:27] -*- thiago has yet to build anything qt6 besides qtbase
[17:07:55] <lars> thiago: https://testresults.qt.io/modules/ shows the status of the modules (how far behind qtbase they are)
[17:08:24] <lars> but they usually need changes when updating to a newer qtbase due to SIC changes happening
[17:08:45] <lars> so it requires constant hand-holding
[17:09:03] <thiago> doesn't tell us why
[17:09:14] <thiago> arer they all failing to compile?
[17:09:15] <lars> on the topic of API reviews: There's no volunteers for helping so far.
[17:09:34] <lars> thiago: somethimes it's compile problems, sometimes test failures.
[17:09:57] <thiago> jani made it sound like a few didn't update
[17:10:08] <jaheikki3> Thiago: here is exact situation with updates: https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/message:%2522Update+dependencies+on+'dev'%2522+status:open
[17:10:09] <thiago> this shows that all but qtdoc didn't update
[17:10:18] <lars> "update" here means that we don't manage to update the dependencies.yaml file
[17:10:45] <jaheikki3> so wayland, translations and qtqc2 is still ongoing
[17:11:14] <lars> yes, those are behind the rest (which is already 70 changes behind HEAD of qtbase again)
[17:12:14] <thiago> 70 changes or 70 days?
[17:12:18] <lars> 70 changes
[17:12:21] <jaheikki3> Yeah. Target is to start new update round immediately after we get this one done
[17:13:05] <lars> jaheikki3: in principle, we can start the new update round now. There's nothing stopping us from doing two waves in parallel
[17:13:31] <lars> but that requires manual hand-holding, the bot can't help in that case.
[17:13:50] <jaheikki3> lars: that's true. It is just easier to follow up progress when running one round at once :D
[17:14:02] <lars> I agree :)
[17:14:57] <jaheikki3> Alpha blocker list is here https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22622
[17:15:25] <jaheikki3> Quite many open so most probably we can't get alpha out during next week as planned
[17:15:51] <jaheikki3> Some items in the list isn't really blocking alpha; i'll clean up the list soon.
[17:16:12] <jaheikki3> But most of ones are really needed to be fixed before official Alpha
[17:16:47] <jaheikki3> But that's pretty much all about Qt 6 status at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:17:18] <lars> I have some concerns regarding API reviews
[17:17:42] <thiago> we don't need to complete it, but what do we need?
[17:17:48] <lars> there's so far no reaction to help with the task. I'm on it, but if I do it alone it's going to be a bottleneck.
[17:18:11] <lars> thiago: we should have done a full round when we go into beta IMO
[17:18:36] <thiago> right
[17:18:40] <jaheikki3> Agree
[17:18:43] <thiago> sorry, confusing API reviews with header reviews
[17:18:45] <lars> many classes are new or have undergone large changes, so I think we should do a bit more than just look at the header diff
[17:19:38] <lars> I can twist the arms of people inside TQtC to help in their areas, but that's a lot more difficult with external contributors.
[17:20:15] <lars> That mainly concerns Qt Core though as that's where the majority of external API contributions have gone to.
[17:20:34] <thiago> right
[17:20:56] <lars> thiago: would you have some time to help with this? I'm open to any format and also very flexible time-wise
[17:21:31] <lars> And I can find people inside TQtC for quite some areas as well.
[17:22:00] <thiago> very little...
[17:22:19] <thiago> I want to, but can't get a lot of time
[17:23:10] <lars> understandable.
[17:24:02] <lars> Do we have areas where we believe this is esp. important? I have a bit of concerns around the string classes.
[17:25:08] <thiago> that and QVector are the only areas with significant changes
[17:25:35] <thiago> unfortunately I didn't have time to do any of the clean-ups I wanted for Qt 6, evne those I developed  years ago
[17:25:46] <thiago> like the pending changes to use QDeadlineTimer for waitFor functions
[17:26:24] <thiago> I haven't even ported forward my 120 changes from 5.15 to see what's still relevant/important
[17:26:28] <lars> If you have a list of those changes, I can try to find someone to help get them in.
[17:27:42] <lars> thiago: would you have time for one session on QList and strings?
[17:28:07] <thiago> I can make time
[17:28:56] <lars> great. I'm mostly flexible, so let me know what works for you and I'll adjust.
[17:29:03] <lars> thanks!
[17:30:24] <jaheikki3> Thanks Thiago!
[17:30:49] <jaheikki3> I think this was all at this time. Let's end the meeting now & have new one tue 15th Sep as planned
[17:30:59] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:31:04] <lars> thanks
[17:31:24] <carewolf2> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list