[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 18.05.2021
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed May 19 09:52:55 CEST 2021
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 18th May 2021
Qt 5.12.11 status:
- Release delayed due to new blocker: Compilation in INTEGRITY fails, see QTBUG-93779
* Fix proposal in place
- Target is to get the release out as soon as possible; let's see if that can happen during this week or not
Qt 6.1 status:
- Qt 6.1.1 release preparations started
* First snapshot created and published
* Target is to branch '6.1.1' from '6.1' later this week
* Target is to release Qt 6.1.1 at the end of May
Qt 6.2 status:
- Feature freeze will be in effect Fri 4th June 2021
* Time to start updating new features page for the release here: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_6.2
* Some new modules are in critical path. To be planned how to proceed if those aren't ready at FF
- First snapshot published
* Known issue: Qt6.2.0 kits not enabled in Creator, see QTBUG-93697
* Adding new modules in the packages ongoing, some new should be in next one already
Next meeting Tue 25th May 2021 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:30] <jaheikki3_> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: ablasche: ping
[17:00:36] <carewolf> pong
[17:00:43] <akseli> pong
[17:00:47] <frkleint> jaheikki3_: pong
[17:01:24] <thiago> jaheikki3_: pong
[17:02:04] <jaheikki3_> Time to start qt relese team meeting
[17:02:14] <jaheikki3_> On agenda today:
[17:02:22] <jaheikki3_> Qt 5.12.11 status
[17:02:29] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.1 status
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.2 status
[17:02:50] <jaheikki3_> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:54] <jaheikki3_> Let's start from Qt 5.12.11 status
[17:05:36] <jaheikki3_> Unfortunately new release blocker found at the final steps of the release: QTBUG-93779
[17:05:51] <jaheikki3_> Integryti compilation fails with latest changes
[17:06:08] <jaheikki3_> We have fix proposal integrating
[17:06:41] <jaheikki3_> And target is to release Qt 5.12.11 as soon as possible, let's see if that can happen during this week or not
[17:07:01] <jaheikki3_> That's all about Qt 5.12.11. Any comments or questions?
[17:07:19] <frkleint> how long will it last...
[17:07:25] <frkleint> until LTS expires..
[17:08:45] <jaheikki3_> frkleint: Qt 5.12 LTS is supported until 6.12.2021
[17:08:59] <frkleint> aha, thx
[17:09:34] <jaheikki3_> Ok, then Qt 6.1 status
[17:09:46] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.1.1 release preparations started
[17:10:01] <jaheikki3_> First snapshot is already created and published
[17:10:19] <jaheikki3_> Target is to branch '6.1.1' from '6.1' later this week
[17:10:36] <jaheikki3_> And target is to release Qt 6.1.1 at the end of May
[17:10:54] <jaheikki3_> That's all about Qt 6.1.1 at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:10:56] <thiago> do we have sufficient commits?
[17:12:30] <jaheikki3_> thiago: I think so. I haven't checked real amount of changes but based on Jira there is at least 125 fixes already
[17:13:20] <thiago> ok
[17:14:58] <jaheikki3_> Ok, then Qt 6.2 status
[17:15:22] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.2 feature freeze will be in effect Fri 4th June 2021
[17:15:58] <carewolf> does it look like everything will be ready?
[17:16:04] <jaheikki3_> So it is time to start updating Qt 6.2 new features page here: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_6.2
[17:16:35] <jaheikki3_> carewolf: Based on my understanding most of planned things are on track
[17:17:14] <jaheikki3_> few modules are in critical path but it seems we should be able to complete those in time
[17:17:45] <jaheikki3_> qtmultimedia is most probably the biggest risk according to my understanding
[17:18:03] <thiago> what's our plan if they delay?
[17:18:20] <thiago> I have to propose we wait
[17:18:33] <carewolf> qtwebengine and qtwebview is probably not ready on all platforms on FF, but we expect to add the missing ones after
[17:18:36] <thiago> Qt's been hurt by people not being able to upgrade to qt 6
[17:19:32] <thiago> I think that's fine: it says "if it's broken, we'll fix it" instead of the current "don't bother"
[17:19:39] <jaheikki3_> Well, we need to plan that. If we will postpone the FF it will also postpone the final schedule
[17:20:12] <thiago> indeed, let's pay close attention to it, but I think it's for a good reason
[17:21:06] <jaheikki3_> And yes, qt6.2 should be good enough for users to be able to upgrade qt6
[17:21:45] <jaheikki3_> But on the other hand we should do timely based releases; that's why we have the FF in place
[17:22:02] <thiago> ok. Next meeting will be the week before FF. Let's plan to look into it in detail.
[17:22:25] <jaheikki3_> yes, exactly. I was planning to propose the same ;D
[17:23:15] <jaheikki3_> We have created first Qt 6.2 snapshot already and it is also published
[17:23:35] <jaheikki3_> There is known issue: Qt6.2.0 kits not enabled in Creator, see QTBUG-93697
[17:24:05] <jaheikki3_> And module set is still the same than with Qt 6.1
[17:24:33] <jaheikki3_> But we are currently adding new ones in as well and next snapshot should contain few new ones
[17:25:19] <jaheikki3_> But that's all about Qt 6.2 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:28:57] <jaheikki3_> Ok, let's end this meeting now & have new one tue 25th May at this same time
[17:29:14] <jaheikki3_> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:29:15] <carewolf> bye
[17:29:19] <frkleint> bye
[17:29:34] <thiago> bye
More information about the Releasing