<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style type="text/css" style="display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir="ltr">
<div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt">Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 2nd February 2016</span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><br>
</span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt">Qt 5.6 status:</span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt">- Branching complete, all changes targeted to Qt 5.6.0 must be done in '5.6.0'</span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>- Staging is restricted in '5.6.0', release team will take care of staging there</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span>* We will take in only really important changes, all others should be done in '5.6' instead</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>- We are targeting to produce new snapshot for testing as soon as possible</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span>* At the moment issues with getting new changes in qt5.git, see
<a title="Ctrl+Seuraa linkkiń napsauttamalla tai napauttamalla" href="https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/147715/">
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/147715/</a></span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>- Plan is to get RC out ~2 weeks </span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span>* Will be hard, we need to:</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span><span>    </span>
1. Get new changes in qt5.git first & create new snapshot for testhing</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span><span>    </span>
2. Fix remaining RC blockers (existing ones & new from snapshot testing), see blockers here:
<a href="https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTQAINFRA-945?filter=17225">https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTQAINFRA-945?filter=17225</a></span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span><span>    </span>
3. Integrate fixes in qt5.git & create rc packages</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span><span>    </span>
4. Verify rc packages & release RC if all OK</span></span></font></p>
<p><br>
<font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span></span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>Qt 5.7 status:</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>- Feature Freeze in effect now</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>- Branching not started yet, issues with adding new modules in qt5.git</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>- </span>At this time it should be much easier to get alpha src packages: ci is producing those so when we get successfully qt5.git integration we should be able to get proper src package as well</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span>* Hoping we can release Alpha as planned, current target schedule here:
<a href="http://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.7-release">http://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.7-release</a> <br>
</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><br>
</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>Next meeting Tue 9th February 16:00 CET</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><br>
</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>br,</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>Jani</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><br>
</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span>irc log below:</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span>[17:01:13] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping<br>
[17:01:23] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong<br>
[17:01:25] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong<br>
[17:01:43] <ablasche> jaheikki3: pong<br>
[17:02:10] <carewolf> pong<br>
[17:02:59] <fkleint> jaheikki3:Pong<br>
[17:03:14] <jaheikki3> time to start qt release team meeting<br>
[17:03:24] <jaheikki3> on agenda today:<br>
[17:03:31] <jaheikki3> qt5.6.0 status<br>
[17:03:38] <jaheikki3> qt 5.7 status<br>
[17:03:47] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?<br>
[17:06:23] <jaheikki3> ok, lets start from Qt 5.6.0 status<br>
[17:07:12] <jaheikki3> -Branching now complete, all changes for Qt 5.6.0 must be done in '5.6.0' from now on<br>
[17:07:45] <jaheikki3> Staging is restricted in '5.6.0', release team will take care of staging there<br>
[17:08:24] <jaheikki3> Target is to take in only really important changes, all others should be done in '5.6' instead<br>
[17:09:03] <jaheikki3> We are trying to produce new snapshot from '5.6.0' as soon as possible<br>
[17:09:44] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately there is some issues now with webkit builds. Fix available & under integration<br>
[17:10:05] <fkleint> WebEngine?<br>
[17:10:21] <thiago> webkit builds?<br>
[17:10:30] <carewolf> webengine will probably need a merge from 5.6 to fix a failing test<br>
[17:10:35] <jaheikki3> After that is in we can try new qt5.git integration round & if that succeed then we can start creating new snapshot<br>
[17:10:41] <carewolf> but should be coming<br>
[17:11:32] <jaheikki3> fkleint: Actually it is webkit ;) it was agreed to deliver proper src package for it with 5.6 as well and it is now in the ci as well<br>
[17:11:56] <fkleint> Uargs, ok<br>
[17:13:18] <jaheikki3> See https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/147487/<br>
[17:13:38] <The-Compiler> I'm going to play devil's advocate - seeing binaries are *built* by the CI anyways, what's the point in not distributing them anymore, seeing that many people consider QtWebEngine not yet ready for their projects?<br>
[17:13:48] <thiago> we agreed to build to be sure webkit builds<br>
[17:13:53] <thiago> we don't need binaries<br>
[17:14:17] <jaheikki3> yeah<br>
[17:14:37] <thiago> as for not shipping something we built, we want to really discourage its use<br>
[17:14:50] <thiago> however ready the replacement may be, webkit use needs to stop<br>
[17:15:36] <The-Compiler> I can't disagree with that ;)<br>
[17:16:58] <jaheikki3> RC blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=17225<br>
[17:17:24] <jaheikki3> Still some open but most of those has fix proposal already available<br>
[17:18:29] <jaheikki3> We are targeting to get RC out ~2 weeks but let's see how long it takes to get first snapshot & what is still found when we get the testing results<br>
[17:19:10] <jaheikki3> Any comments / Questions?<br>
[17:21:22] <thiago> it's taking too long<br>
[17:21:50] <jaheikki3> thiago: that is true<br>
[17:22:42] <jaheikki3> We are trying to speed it up as much as possible but I bet that 2 weeks won't be enough :(<br>
[17:22:51] <carewolf> why?<br>
[17:24:22] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Getting snapshot out takes a while. Getting testing results & rest of fixes a while as well. Then new packages + smoke testing. two weeks is short time for all this<br>
[17:24:35] <jaheikki3> But of course we are trying to keep that<br>
[17:25:05] <carewolf> did we get the beta out faster than that?<br>
[17:25:36] <jaheikki3> And it will help a lot if we can keep amount of changes in '5.6.0' as small as possible<br>
[17:25:54] <carewolf> not that I mind taking the time, but I still think we should then figure that time into our planing to begin with, and maybe schedule multiple betas or alphas<br>
[17:27:02] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Yeah, that 2 weeks is based on schedule of earlier releases<br>
[17:27:31] <carewolf> yeah, I know.<br>
[17:28:25] <jaheikki3> at this time 5.7 will make thinks a bit more difficult because we are doing it at same time ;) But we will handle that...<br>
[17:29:07] <The-Compiler> By the way, I'd really appreciate a blogpost or so about how the release process works, if someone has the time to do that. Because as a (mostly) Qt user, it's hard to imagine *what* work is taking so long :)<br>
[17:30:25] <jaheikki3> The-Compiler: Good idea, I try to wrote something at some point ;)<br>
[17:30:50] <jaheikki3> I think this was all about 5.6.0 at this time. <br>
[17:31:00] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.7.0 status:<br>
[17:31:15] <jaheikki3> Feature Freeze is now in effect<br>
[17:32:05] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately we haven't been able to start branching yet, there is still some issues with getting new modules in qt5.git<br>
[17:32:24] <jaheikki3> Hoping we can start it soon<br>
[17:33:01] <jaheikki3> Target schedule for 5.7 can be found here: http://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.7-release<br>
[17:34:15] <jaheikki3> At this time it should be much easier to get alpha src packages: ci is producing those so when we get successfully qt5.git integration we should be able to get proper src package as well<br>
[17:34:46] <jaheikki3> So I am hoping we could get Alpha out latest as planned hoping already a bit earlier<br>
[17:35:10] <jaheikki3> But first we need to get those new modules in qt5.git & start branching<br>
[17:35:32] <jaheikki3> Any comments / questions?<br>
[17:35:35] <thiago> what's the issue with new modules?<br>
[17:36:14] <carewolf> should we schedule a second optional alpha in case the beta is delayed/<br>
[17:37:35] <thiago> we haven't even had the first yet<br>
[17:38:08] <carewolf> I just mean if we should make it a policy if the beta is delayed more than a certain amount of time<br>
[17:38:11] <thiago> the problem we have with new releases is that we can never predict how long it will take for the next<br>
[17:38:23] <carewolf> yeah<br>
[17:38:28] <thiago> if we knew the beta would take at least 3 weeks from a given date, we could say "we'll ship a second alpha"<br>
[17:38:32] <thiago> we can't<br>
[17:38:34] <jaheikki3> thiago: There is compilation break in qtscxml. <br>
[17:39:17] <thiago> in any case, the purpose of the alpha is feature review. Unless we add more features, which we shouldn't because we're frozen, there's never a need for a second alpha.<br>
[17:39:21] <jaheikki3> we need to get merge from 5.6.0 to dev to fix that. it is ongoing<br>
[17:39:35] <jaheikki3> thiago: I agree<br>
[17:39:59] -*- thiago makes a point to complain about thousands of lines of code arriving shortly before the feature freeze and not having the proper time to stabilise them<br>
[17:40:17] <thiago> if it were any other source, we'd have said, "hold your horses, we'll have you in the next release, not this one"<br>
[17:41:08] <jaheikki3> then just adding those missing new modules (qtscxml, qtgamepad) in the qt5.git
<br>
[17:42:13] <jaheikki3> thiago:qtscxml will be TP in 5.7.0 so late arrival doesn't matter so much. But I understand your point<br>
[17:42:36] <carewolf> thiago: I was just thinking about the 5.6 beta problems, which was due to not being able to fix all the 'must be fixed before beta' bugs.<br>
[17:42:41] <thiago> jaheikki3: it's mattering now<br>
[17:42:45] <thiago> that negates your argument<br>
[17:42:56] <thiago> if it didn t matter, we'd be progressing and ignoring its compilation error<br>
[17:43:07] <jaheikki3> thiago: Yes, from release schedule point of view it matters.<br>
[17:43:46] <jaheikki3> We discussed about that with lars & ossi yesterday in #qt-labs & this is to way to proceed now<br>
[17:44:29] <jaheikki3> As I said hoping we get those fixed & in soon to be able to proceed<br>
[17:45:04] <jaheikki3> Any other comments / questions?<br>
[17:47:16] <thiago> discussion in IRC is not binding<br>
[17:47:41] <thiago> anyway, conclusion is that it's impacting the release, for a module whose source was added to the Qt Project within the last month<br>
[17:47:51] <thiago> big code drops should not be accepted this late in the cycle<br>
[17:48:06] <thiago> this is just to log a protest. I'm not asking we drop it.<br>
[17:48:52] <jaheikki3> thiago: I understand. And even agree<br>
[17:49:35] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think it was all this time. Let's have new meeting after a week at this same time, OK?<br>
[17:50:59] <carewolf> ok<br>
[17:52:54] <jaheikki3> Great. Let's end this meeting now & have new one tue 9th Feb 16:00 CET<br>
[17:53:09] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation. Bye!<br>
[17:53:16] <fkleint> bye<span id="ms-rterangepaste-end"></span><br>
</span></span></font></p>
<p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt"><span><span>    </span></span></span></font><br>
</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>