[Web] Suggestion to include info about dependencies on Qt download page

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 11:09:33 CET 2013

> Having a link to Qt's requirements on the download page is definitely a
> good idea, but I think creating a third page that lists requirements is
> a bad idea. It means we have to keep all of these up-to-date:
>
> [1] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/requirements.html
> [2] http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git
> [3] http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt5_dependencies
>
> Can we kill the Qt5_dependencies page and just link to [1]?

Yes, feel free to do that.

*BUT*
That requirements page [1] seems a little bit too complicated at first
sight and it includes *build-dependencies* (which people don't need
when using prebuilt libraries/ SDK). The idea behind [3] was to
provide a simple listing of stuff that people need when they are using
prebuilt installers from qt-project.org/downloads. So I would rather
suggest adding the distinction between prebuilt and "source" to the
documentation at [1], or leave everything to [2] and [3].

Remember we are talking mostly about people new to Qt, very often
students who have little experience in the area. Telling them they
have to install Perl, Ruby and Python + a bunch of *-dev libs when
it's not really needed might discourage them.