[Web] What are we going to do about our forum spammer?

Kojo Tero tero.kojo at theqtcompany.com
Fri Dec 5 08:18:33 CET 2014

Yes, single use email and Tor make it pretty impossible to categorically ban a single user.
I have pondered cutting access from Tor nodes, but that is problematic on a whole different level, people have also valid reasons to use Tor.

> I suggested that each account's first post be withheld from public view until a
> moderator gives the OK. This is the best compromise I can think of: New
> users face a once-off inconvenience for a new user, but are given full posting
> rights after approval. The community is shielded from the torrent of garbage.
> What do you think? I'm not sure if Expression Engine supports this
> arrangement though.

Yes, that is the problem, Expression engine isn't really up to date with these things. Can't do first post screening or many other practical things that would make sense.

We are moving to more modern platforms, but it's been a lot of work getting everything going, and the forums will move somewhere in January-February.

Tero

P.S. Added p3c0 and Chris Kawa as admins. Other names are also welcome.