[Web] What are we going to do about our forum spammer?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Dec 5 08:21:29 CET 2014

Tomasz Siekierda schreef op 4-12-2014 15:07:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure you know who I'm talking about: the impossible-to-reason-with
> spammer that keeps polluting our forums with frequent moaning about
> economists, Digia and profits.
Actually, I guess that is part of the problem: we do _not_ know who we
are talking about. He is hiding in the TOR network, and using different
throw-away email addresses. When there was still some disucussion with
him going on, he refused to tell why he was doing what he is doing
(assuming it is a "he" by the way), nor did he want to reveil his
identity. He thinks what he is doing is peaceful protesting like handing
out pamflets, I compared it to spraying grafitti everywhere or
interupting completely unrelated debates or concerts with loudly voiced
rants and then running away refusing to talk about it.

> He has grown significantly more active recently. We are banning him
> swiftly, but he keeps coming back. In the last few days there's been a
> real barrage from that individual, plus he started getting really
> personal and insulting (not to say he was decent before, no no. He's
> just worse than usual lately).
>
> Apart from - possibly - nominating new moderators (for example: p3c0,
> Chris Kawa if they are not already), do we have any options? Has
> anybody checked this guy's IP address? If it is static, we could ban
> the IP, but most probably he is behind an ISP network with dynamic
> addressing. Maybe we could ban the email address he is using (I
> suspect he uses temp mail addresses, but just in case he does not)
> from registering on the forum? Or will it end when somebody calls the
> police (probably unlikely)?
>
> What are your opinions, proposals?
I don't think there are many options while the platform runs on
Expression Engine. I understand it's not a very flexible platform, and
it hard to hack into.

If were were not hindered by that, I would suggest a moderation queue.
Messages may be marked for moderation by using some automated rules such
as flag words in a combination, links outside of trusted sites,
first-posts by accounts, but also by being explicitly marked for review
by users. You could make that more fine-grained as well, for instance by
requiring a minimum amount of karma/points in total by reporters before
a message is moved to moderation queue, in order to prevent people being
able to start annoying the forums by randomly marking loads of messages
for moderation. Idealy, the existance of messages inside an existing
thread would be visible, but the contents replaced by a message like
"This message is under review." while the message is in the queue. New
thread starts perhaps need different treatment.

However, until we have an engine capable of such things, there is not
much we can do. I do suggest looking into the banning of TOR exist nodes
though, especially for making new accounts. Perhaps we can look into if
they are used legit at all. If not, I see little downside to blocking
them for the time being.

André