[Web] Harmonizing the Qt 5.x Documentation

Pasion Jerome Jerome.Pasion at digia.com
Tue Mar 11 10:01:38 CET 2014

Hello all,

Short summary: We will be redirecting viewers of Qt 5.0 and Qt 5.1 documentation
to "Qt 5" documentation. Subsequently, we will remove the 5.0 and 5.1 documentation
from qt-project.org and we will place future Qt 5.x documentation in
"Qt 5" (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/).

Note that the Qt 4.7, Qt 4.8, and Qt Creator Manual are not part of this change.

Why are we doing this?

Because, overall, it is easier to move the documentation as-a-product forward.
But to be specific:

A)When Qt 5.0 was released, much of the documentation such as pages and snippets
were missing and were fixed for the Qt 5.1 release. People looking into the Qt 5
documentation will likely encounter the 5.0 version. Harmonizing the directories
into one means that online viewers will always view the latest Qt 5 documentation.

B)Multiple directories hinders the search results. A single directory for Qt 5
documentation increases traffic to the /doc/qt-5/ directory. Currently,
the /doc/qt-5.1 and /doc/qt-5.0 directories are taking away viewers from the
main Qt 5 content.

Some Practicalities:

-We need to be stricter with filename changes to minimize readers viewing non-existing pages.
The Qt Writing Guidelines and QDoc already dictate the filenames for important
pages, but overview and article authors should minimize filename changes.

-It is even more important to make sure that the API has the correct QDoc commands
and markup. API should have the \since and once needed, the \deprecated, and
\obsolete commands.

-I checked the doc notes database and there are only a handful of doc notes
for both 5.0 and 5.1. It is likely that they will not be ported over.

-The 5.0 and 5.1 HTML files will be hosted in doc.qt.digia.com. Regardless,
they will always be available when downloading the packages.

The exact timeline is not decided yet, but the redirects are being tested
internally now and we hope to deploy them before the Qt 5.3 final release.

Cheers,
Jerome P.
Documentation Engineer - Digia, Qt