[Accessibility] QT accessibility roadmap.

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Mon May 26 13:16:15 CEST 2014

Hi Luke,

thanks for joining us and asking good questions :)
And congratulations to your new speech-dispatcher maintainer role!

Mandag 26. mai 2014 11.18.36 skrev Luke Yelavich:
> Hi Folks,
> Firstly I would like to introduce myself. I am Luke Yelavich, and am working
> for Canonical. I am somewhat involved with the ubuntu on phones project,
> aka ubuntu touch. This project is using Qt quite heavily. I am starting to
> ramp up work to make sure ubuntu touch has a good accessibility story going
> forward.

This is great to hear. I was actually wondering what the story of various
phone projects in this direction will be.
Some things are really easy and fun to do in Qt Quick, for example you can
simply zoom the whole scene for magnification and will even have crisp fonts
when zoomed in.

When it comes to screen readers, I'm not aware of anything open-source that's
available and fitting, so this is obviously an interesting project. Assuming
there will be an open source project to create a mobile screen reader,
especially when it's geard towards Qt applications, I'd be happy to discuss
and help where I can.

> Whilst having a quick glance through the Qt QML accessibility code, I have
> noticed a few things that are yet to be implemented, particularly
> accessible object relationships. This got me to wondering whether there is
> any defined roadmap for Qt accessibility going forward, particularly with
> regards to QMl and implementing accessibility support there.

I'd appreciate bug reports for missing functionallity in accessibility. Please
make sure to set the component to "GUI: Accessibility" and it'll be on my
radar. I filed one for the relations mentioned above:

We don't have a real roadmap for accessibility but rather focus on what we
deem important and right now mobile is the big topic we're trying to tackle. I
created a JIRA dashboard that lists all bugs/feature requests for
accessibility:
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12514

Currently I'm focusing a lot on iOS and Jan-Arve works on the Android parts at
the moment. Of course we fix cross-platform issues as much as possible.

I hope this helps. Feel free to catch me on irc as well.

Greetings,
Frederik