[Accessibility] Seeking input from experts with mobile assistive devices

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Tue Nov 11 14:52:04 CET 2014

Hi Leo,

On Friday, November 07, 2014 12:33:36 AM Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> On May 21, 2014, at 12:41 AM, Trenton Schulz <Trenton.Schulz at nr.no> wrote:
> > On May 21, 2014, at 06:50 , Leo Spalteholz <leos at uvic.ca> wrote
> >
> >> We work a lot with individuals with physical disabilities, and along with
> >> the rest of the industry have migrated primarily to mobile development.
> >> So we are primarily concerned with Voiceover support and switch
> >> accessibility.  We have primarily concentrated past app development
> >> efforts on iOS because platform accessibility and accessibility app
> >> support is still far ahead of android for most of our clients.  However
> >> we are naturally interested in cross platform development so we have
> >> switched to Qt for most of our new, in-development apps to be able to
> >> ship Android and iOS simultaneously with our very small team.
> >>
> >> We’ve worked with hundreds of individuals with disabilities over the
> >> years across the age and disability spectrum.  Happy to help if we can.>
> > Thank you, Leo. I would be interested in discussing how switch support
> > works on smartphones as I haven’t seen much of that. I’ll contact you
> > off-list.
> Following up on this.  As you know Qt 5.3 apps on iOS were completely
> unaccessible to VoiceOver on iOS, however I’m extremely happy to see that
> after some testing on 5.4 beta it looks like it perfectly supports
> VoiceOver now!   Great work and thank you Digia and whoever did the work
> for making this happen!   With no changes our apps are now almost
> completely accessible to VoiceOver users.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, it really made us happy :)
It's good to hear that we have some real world testing.

> I tested with iOS 8 Switch Control using the Pretorian Applicator switch
> interface and it also works quite well.  It seems to scan to Label elements
> in addition to actionable items which doesn’t match the behaviour or most
> other apps, but it is certainly working.

Since we primarily focus on VoiceOver for iOS, it's great to hear that using
switches works.
I am not sure how we should change label elements for this use case, it may be
that we get some property wrong. At least it doesn't completely break things.

Greetings,
Frederik