[Automotive] [agl-discussions] Introduce Qt IVI layer (meta-qt5-ivi)

Louai Al-Khanji louai.al-khanji at qt.io
Tue Jun 14 20:15:37 CEST 2016

>> I would like to share the meta-qt5-ivi which provides qtapplicationmanager,
>> qtivi and qt-apps-neptune-ui.

<snip>

>I am not thinking so much about a feature by feature comparison but the practicalities about
>layer architecture and adoption. To give one example the Genivi Development Platform (GDP)
>uses [1] for the base Qt 5 parts for its Qt based HMI. So if say someone wanted to adopt your work
>into GDP the question arises as to how best to do that. Adopting your Qt5 layer instead for the base Qt5
>raises questions of maintenance going forward and whether all requirements are met, whilst just adopting
>the apps/HMI (I realise I am probably simplifying there) means masking out parts for it to work on [1].

<snip>

Hi all,

In the interest of avoiding fragmentation, I would like to invite interested parties to work with us to make sure that there is one place that provides high-quality recipes for these components.

These components are included in our newly-public meta-boot2qt layer: http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/
The README provides a good overview: http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/tree/README

meta-boot2qt builds on meta-qt5 to provide amongst other things more up to date versions of Qt [1] and the above automotive packages [2]. It includes a poky-based reference distro, but the recipes can certainly be used independently.

meta-boot2qt also provides support for a lot of devices. Currently this includes the i.MX6, i.MX7, Rcar Gen 2, Raspberry Pi 1/2/3, Jetson Pro/Tegra, VirtualBox, Intel. The full list can be seen in our layer init script [3].

The layer is developed in the open through Qt Code Review (i.e. gerrit) [4]. I am very happy to see the wide-spread interest in these components. We welcome people to work with us to establish one high-quality, canonical upstream for the recipes.

Cheers,
Louai

[1] http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/tree/recipes-qt/qt5
[2] http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/tree/recipes-qt/automotive