[Automotive] [agl-discussions] Introduce Qt IVI layer (meta-qt5-ivi)

Louai Al-Khanji louai.al-khanji at qt.io
Tue Jun 14 21:25:59 CEST 2016

Hello Rudi,

In the interest of avoiding fragmentation, I would like to invite interested parties to work with us to make sure that there is one place that provides high-quality recipes for these components.

These components are included in our newly-public meta-boot2qt layer: http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/
The README provides a good overview: http://code.qt.io/cgit/yocto/meta-boot2qt.git/tree/README

Is this based on "Qt for Device Creation" (http://www.qt.io/qt-for-device-creation/)? At least the README mentions it. A while ago I wanted to give Qt for Device Creation a try for a hobby project but it seems to be commercially licensed only and there was only a 30 day free trial available. That still seems to be the case according to the website. Could you please clarify the licensing? It looks as if the layer itself is GPLv3-licensed. What about the boot2qt components?

You are exactly right, this is the layer that we use to build the references images for Qt for Device Creation.

Per se, there are very few Boot2Qt-specific components. Boot2Qt simply is a reference distro based on Poky that pulls in various bits and pieces, including more of Qt than is packaged in meta-qt5. It’s not meant to duplicate existing work, we do try to push as much as possible upstream. In fact, meta-boot2qt depends on meta-qt5.

As for Qt itself, the latest licensing is described e.g. here: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde-free-qt-foundation/

Most of the base components have always been open - the bulk of the code, after all, is in the Qt framework itself. Recently a lot of the components that are more embedded-specific have also been opened up. I would need to check which remain commercial-only, but there aren’t very many. I’d actually be interested to hear whether you have any specific ones in mind.

There are a few parts of the host tooling that are not open right now - for instance we do have a plugin that talks to ADB directly so that you can just plug your device into a USB port instead of having to mess with networking to get remote deployment/debugging/profiling. These however add convenience rather than being 100% necessary per se.

meta-boot2qt builds on meta-qt5 to provide amongst other things more up to date versions of Qt [1] and the above automotive packages [2]. It includes a poky-based reference distro, but the recipes can certainly be used independently.

meta-boot2qt also provides support for a lot of devices. Currently this includes the i.MX6, i.MX7, Rcar Gen 2, Raspberry Pi 1/2/3, Jetson Pro/Tegra, VirtualBox, Intel. The full list can be seen in our layer init script [3].

The layer is developed in the open through Qt Code Review (i.e. gerrit) [4]. I am very happy to see the wide-spread interest in these components. We welcome people to work with us to establish one high-quality, canonical upstream for the recipes.

Looks like it is a fully distro layer. I will give it a shot.

It is. Looking forward to your feedback!

One thing that is good to know is that currently some recipes pull from codereview.qt.io<http://codereview.qt.io> directly. That’s the easiest setup for us, but it does require you to have a gerrit account. It’s on my TODO list to fix that where possible.

Cheers,
Louai