[Automotive] appman use case question

Sanchez, Jack jsanche1 at jaguarlandrover.com
Fri Oct 14 18:05:40 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I'm going to begin investigating this now but I thought I'd throw out my
questions in parallel.

It certainly seems apparent that appman requires root privileges in order
to properly run and gain access to input and graphics devices on the
system. If this is not the case, I would be interested in hearing anything
I may be missing at this point for that.

In our system, we require that our HMI applications actually run as a user
other than root for security reasons, however, since appman is doing
lifecycle management, all the processes will inherit this root environment.

So we need to be able to launch our HMI apps through appman from another
user session in order to be on the same DBUS session as our system services
being communicated with (controlling hardware).

Even if we are able to do this - I'm assuming the difference in DBUS
sessions from root to the other user will also potentially impede
communications between appman and the appman-based HMI processes.

Has anyone already handled this issue and/or are there plans in place for
the QtAS development teams to add in this type of functionality? Would we
need to fork and do this work ourselves in order to break apart this
coupling?

Basically we just want to use appman as more of a server based compositor
as Weston is used, and be able to dynamically attach HMI processes to the
appman server.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
--
*Jack Sanchez*
Lead Qt Engineer

*M:* +1 503-608-8282
*E: jsanche1 at jaguarlandrover.com <jsanche1 at jaguarlandrover.com>*

*Jaguar Land Rover, 1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, Oregon, 97209, USA*
*jaguar.com <http://jaguar.com/>  |  landrover.com <http://landrover.com/>*