[Automotive] appman use case question

Robert Griebl robert.griebl at pelagicore.com
Thu Oct 20 14:46:29 CEST 2016

Hi Jack,

Sorry for the late reply.

On 14.10.2016 18:05, Sanchez, Jack wrote:
> It certainly seems apparent that appman requires root privileges in
> order to properly run and gain access to input and graphics devices on
> the system. If this is not the case, I would be interested in hearing
> anything I may be missing at this point for that.

That is certainly not the case. Quite the opposite: you shouldn't run
the AM as root, although you need to have it SUID-root if you want to
use the installer part (only a small helper process will continue to run
with root privileges in this case -- the main process will drop them
immediately)

Gaining access to devices is done via standard Unix file permissions in
/dev. Of course you have to adjust those if you are running non-root.

We have done embedded, Yocto based non-root installations in the past
without any major problems (the biggest one being to make sure that
everyone ends up on the same session bus, but this was basically a
fiddling around with systemd units).

cu
Robert