[Automotive] QtIVI BackendType Switch/Registration

Dominik Holland dominik.holland at pelagicore.com
Mon Sep 5 23:08:44 CEST 2016

Hi Jack,

Am 05.09.16 um 22:39 schrieb Sanchez, Jack:
> Hi all,
>
> Working with the Qt Automotive Suite, running QtApplicationManager and
> using QtIVI.
>
> I'm currently working to implement the structure for switching the
> backends and I was curious if anyone had actually tried to do this yet.
>
> The documentation on this is very light and the behavior I'm
> experiencing feels counter intuitive.
>
> It seems that the "Simulator Plugin" in the QtIvi repository (and any
> installed service interfaces) is being registered as a Production
> backend by default and there seems to be no obvious way to tell the
> dynamic loader to switch to Simulation Backend type.

The current detection on whether a backend is a production backend or a
simulation backend is done based on the file name. Once the backend
contains the terms "_simulation" or "_simulator" it is currently
detected as a simulation backend.

Note there might be an issue in previous qtivi versions on this, which
got fixed with this commit: 04cecf0f37af28b4b64e9575ca5ba9c6cfd26ea3

> The system seems to be setup such that I shouldn't need to manually
> operate the QIviServiceManager, however, as I'm investigating this
> backend switching functionality, it seems that I will have to in order
> to get the behavior I want.

That could well be without exactly knowing the behavior you want ;-)

The best would be, if you could describe what you would expect, or what
you want to achieve, so we either know about a feature-gap or what to
improve in the documentation

> I feel like, in this example in QtIvi of the vehiclefunction_simulator
> plugin, I should be able to declare the object is a SimulationBackend.
>
> It would be great to hear if I'm missing something obvious, but either
> way I appreciate any feedback.
>
> Thanks!
> Best Regards,
>
> --